View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 12:25 PM   #178
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
"The precise date is not yet settled, Mother," said Korak, drawing his gaze from the fire to her face. Something was stirring within him. He felt restless, nervous. Was it merely because he found himself under the scrutiny of both his mother and the Princess? Perhaps the ominous rumbling of the thunder put him ill at ease. "We must speak with her father the King, of course," he went on, keeping his voice even with great effort, "and we must also speak the matter over with you. We want to ascertain that both her family and my own are able to attend on the day we set. But, as my Princess says, it will certainly be within the month." He glanced at her from the corner of his eye.

Lady Hababa saw the glance, and saw also that it contained no tender love in it, not even an emotion concealed deep within. His possessive use of the word 'Princess' rang false, as if he were merely putting on a show. Lady Hababa started. Was he merely putting on a show? She had known for a long time that his first reason to marry the Princess was to put himself in a position to be King, but it had never occurred to her that he cared nothing for her, save that she should put him in power by her lineage. Lady Hababa felt a wave of what was almost anger pass through her. If he married the Princess he would make his life miserable, and her life miserable as well. He could not be happy wed to one he did not love. She resolved to speak to the Princess about the matter as soon as they had a moment alone.

There was a silence. The fire crackled and sparked, the one cheery thing in the room. A gloom seemed to have settled upon all. Gjeelea looked very ill at ease; Korak fidgeted restlessly in his chair and cast nervous glances here and there; Lady Hababa sat tall and straight and pale.

"Confound the weather!" Lord Korak burst out, standing up and beginning to pace back and forth. "How uneasy it makes me! I feel as if a host of dark creatures were pounding at my door and bidding me let them in so they could cast me into pits of despair." He cast himself in the chair again, but only a few moments had passed before he was on his feet and pacing again. Lady Hababa sat motionless and silent, unable to think of one word of cheer. Cheer, and all hopes of it, had vanished, and only a dark, creeping gloom remained.