View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 07:46 PM   #236
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The day had seemed so long, and it was only early afternoon. The sunlight was streaming through the windows in soft rays of gold. Aylwen was quite relieved when Bethberry returned from her trip, and when the Innkeeper posted her list and call for workers Aylwen watched as most of the people willing to help shifted their attention from Aylwen to Bethberry.

On a trip walking back and forth from the kitchen to the main hall one man beckoned Aylwen with his navy blue eyes, and when she had crossed the crowded room to help him he greeted her politely with a tap to his forehead.

“Good day. I am Aylwen, the assistant innkeeper. May I help you?”

"My name is Hisimé, I am a soldier from Gondor, but I believe I can help you - I have the some experience in carpentry, and I gather that would not go amiss around here, as well as some experience with horses, if it would be useful. And as to how you can help me - I don't suppose there is a room free?"

Aylwen looked over Hisimé, recalling him from earlier before she had given her speech. Someone from home, Aylwen thought at first. Then she considered what he was telling her and she looked over to where Bethberry was busy speaking to others offering their services. Then she turned back to Hisimé to answer his request.

“I’ll have to make certain that Bethberry is fine with it, since there seems to be a lot of people asking for a roof in exchange for helping to rebuild one,” Aylwen admitted. “Certainly someone with your skills in carpentry would be quite useful in rebuilding the stable. And we could use some help taking care of the remaining horses overnight until the stable is rebuilt. In any case, I see no problem with you staying here in exchange for your help and hard work.”

“Thank you, ma’am,” Hisimé murmured, giving a short bow. Aylwen grinned and made a quick curtsy in return. The man walked off to go find an empty seat again, but Aylwen wanted to ask him something before she lost him to the crowd.

“Hisimé, sir?” Aylwen called, and Hisimé turned and walked back toward her at the sound of his name.

“Yes, miss Aylwen?”

“I don’t mean to pry, but I’m curious: What is a Gondorian soldier doing here in Rohan, asking for a place to stay?” Aylwen asked, hoping Hisimé would not be upset with the question.