View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 02:13 AM   #18
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Of Pippin's plea for Gandalf to save Faramir, the wizard had this to say:
Quote:
'Maybe I can,' said Gandalf; 'but if I do, then others will die, I fear. Well, I must come, since no other help can reach him. But evil and sorrow will come of this.'
These words reminded me of a not-so-similar situation that involved Aragorn, a few chapters before:
Quote:
'I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself,' said Aragorn. 'But there is only one way through the mountains that will bring me to the coastlands before all is lost. That is the Paths of the Dead.'
They both were the only persons who could somehow amend their respective situations, and their decisions have their respective downsides. But they sensed the urgency and were willing to lay aside any doubts or inhibitions - in Aragorn's case maybe losing his own life, and with Gandalf, losing someone else's.

As for evil and sorrow, these others felt in response to Aragorn. The latter was expressed by Éomer and Théoden...
Quote:
'Alas! Aragorn my friend!' said Éomer. 'I had hoped that we should ride to war together; but if you seek the Paths of the Dead, then our parting is come, and it is little likely that we shall ever meet again under the Sun.'
Quote:
'You will do as you will, my lord Aragorn,' said Théoden. 'It is your doom, maybe, to tread strange paths that others dare not. This parting grieves me, and my strength is lessened by it; but now I must take the mountain-roads and delay no longer. Farewell!'
...and the former by his companion, Gimli.
Quote:
'The Paths of the Dead!' said Gimli. 'It is a fell name, and little to the liking to the Men of Rohan, as I saw. Can the living use such a road and not perish?'
Later Pippin and Gandalf, on Shadowfax, made their way to where the Steward is.
Quote:
They passed on; and as they climbed and drew near to the Citadel they felt the wind blowing in their faces, and they caught the glimmer of morning far away, a light growing in the southern sky. But it brought little hope to them, not knowing what evil lay before them.
It is interesting that in the previous chapter (or the one before it?) Merry and Théoden's observations and their corresponding emotions completely mirrored this scene. They were initially filled with dread, fearing the worst as they found that they had arrived too late. But later on, Merry felt the wind on his face; they saw the same light glimmering and took great hope in the same morning that lay beyong them.

Quote:
But Gandalf sprang up the steps, and the men fell back from him and covered their eyes; for his coming was like the incoming of a white light into a dark place, and he came with great anger.
I experience almost everyday having to squint my eyes upon waking up; the sudden bright light just feels so painful after 'seeing darkness' for so long as I slept. The pupils of the eyes, which are involuntarily dilated in the dark to allow the passage of more light (not sure if this applies in sleep, though) cannot contract rapidly enough to control the amount of light that enters the eyes. Thus, for a moment, I seem to be blinded, and would have to wait until my pupils are adjusted.

In Denethor's case here, though, he seemed to be in perpetual blindness. It's as if his eyes have never seen light ever since Boromir died. Gandalf came and tried to 'enlighten' him, even giving his 'eyes' a chance to 'readjust' to his light. But sadly, Denethor was too deep into his own darkness that he shunned the light - and it was this darkness that brought him to his death.

Quote:
'I would have things as they were in all the days of my life,' answered Denethor, 'and in the days of my longfathers before me: to be the lord of this City in peace, and leave my chair to a son after me, who would be his own master and no wizard's pupil.'
Tapos papagalitan mo si Faramir?

Oops. I just found it ironic that Denethor said those words after saying these to Faramir in the Siege chapter:
Quote:
'I know you well. Ever your desire is to appear lordly and generous as a king of old, gracious, gentle. That may well befit one of high race, if he sits in power and peace. But in desperate hours gentleness may be repaid with death.'
Do these explain Denethor's less preference for Faramir?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote