Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2001, 01:06 PM   #9
Bob Wehadababyitsaboy
Animated Skeleton

Bob Wehadababyitsaboy has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pile o' Bones
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Bye Bye Balrogs

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> Even if the number 7 is disregarded (which we cannot so easily do)<hr></blockquote>
Who said disregard it?
I think I said 'stretched beyond intent'.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> this indicates that later on JRRT was thinking of the Balrogs as being FAR less numerous. It appears also that the importance and the power of the Balrogs increased between the Lost Tales and the later Silmarillion.<hr></blockquote>
Say rather that the importance and power of 'some' Balrogs increased and I'll happily agree.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> (I believe Michael Martinez did an essay on this, and I doubt there's anything I could add to his argument, so check for it at suite 101 if you like).<hr></blockquote>
No thank you, I don't like.
I 'like' Tolkien pure and without bias.
But thanks for the information anyway.

<blockquote>Quote:<hr> If any of the 7 Balrogs died there (and I agree, some must have) then we have very few Balrogs to work with in the War of the Jewels.<hr></blockquote>
Again with [the = only] 7 Balrogs.

This sounds like a record stuck in a groove.

I suggest that Balrogs be re-examined if you wish to use them at all in this project.

Of course, you are free to set aside my suggestion.

</p>
Bob Wehadababyitsaboy is offline   Reply With Quote