Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2001, 09:19 AM   #24
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit of Mist
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Bye Bye Balrogs

No slight intended Underhill. I was more commenting upon the fact, that once upon a time, the only wights posting &quot;down here&quot; were Lindil, Saul and I. For clarification's sake, my mild chastisement was intended for all concerned and not just the canonites (not to be confused with canaanites).

For the record, I also support a lesser number of Balrogs during the War of the Jewels, though if I understand Bob correctly (and this is one of the sources of the heat of this debate; lack of clarity), he suggests that there were many but most were destroyed during the siege of Utumno. This works too. Anyway, considering the power of the Balrogs in later conceptions, where only the greatest warriors stand any chance of effectively contesting a duel with a Balrog, the Noldor simply could not have lasted against 1000 of the beasts.

--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth." </p>