View Single Post
Old 01-12-2004, 07:20 PM   #21
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Is the song he sang the same as was sung in the Old Forest? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The song in the Old Forest was:<P><I>O! Wanderers in the shadowed land<BR>despair not! For though dark they stand,<BR>all woods there be must end at last,<BR>and see the open sun go past:<BR>the setting sun, the rising sun, <BR>the day's end, or the day begun.<BR>For east or west all woods must fail...</I><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Tinker, I think it was "All shall fade" not "Away shall fade" at the end. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Both are correct, depending on whether you are going by the film or the book. "All shall fade" is the line from the film, "Away shall fade" is the line from the book.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> He's singing a very sad song (which contradicts his statement that they didn't have songs for dark times, but that's neither here nor there), <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It can be a sad song, or it can be a 'hope' song. It depends on your interpretation. "Mist and shadow, cloud and shade, all shall fade, all shall fade" could mean that the shadows shall fade, or it could mean that everything will fade into shadows. (Pippin probably heard it the first way, Denethor probably heard it the second way.)<P>I can definately understand Pippin crying, I cried watching that scene, all three times I saw it. Whatever the reason, it is a very sad scene.<p>[ 10:07 PM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Elennar Starfire ]