View Single Post
Old 04-10-2004, 06:44 PM   #235
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Amandur

Amandur and Finmar had just reached the house when the sound of laughter made them turn. a short distance from the house he could see the ex-ranger Kaldir holding conversation with a hobbit woman who he could only surmise must be Mrs Banks, pleased too was he to see Rauthain not to far behind, Toby also was still in their company, but with them was another, a young man he was not familiar with. Seeing his contemplative frown, Finmar asked if something was wrong.

“I am not sure,” he answered absently, studying the stranger’s movements. The depth of his stride and the lack of bounce in his light but sure steps, it reminded him of one of the sets of tracks he had been observing over the last several weeks. However, without seeing the tread of the man’s boot he could not confirm or deny his suspicions. Two men he knew had been in Naiore’s company and it seemed too coincidental that this young man should appear at the same time as Naiore attacks Imladris.

“Was the young man in Kaldir’s company when you met?” he asked the elf captain, still watching as Kaldir and Mrs banks seemed to wait for the others to catch up.

“No, nor was the other ranger, only the two periannath.” Rinmar answered following his gaze.

“The ranger I know, his name is Rauthain and he travels with my company, the young man though I am not familiar with, though I have an idea who he might be,” he informed his companion, his eyes narrowing into a distrustful scowl.

“Will guards be needed?” the elf frowned making to reach for the fine elven blade at his hip.

“No, my friend, at least not till I can be certain that my suspicions are founded.” Amandur answered placing his hand atop the elf’s preventing him from drawing his blade.

“I will have to inform my Lords about this stranger, am I to say he is in your charge?” Rinmar asked turned to face Amandur to be sure the ranger understood that all responsibility would be his, but Amandur did not turn, he simply nodded his understanding and began to walking toward the company approaching the house. Rinmar shook his head, then turned and entered the house to deliver his report.

“Hail, friends!” Amandur greeted as he approached, Kaldir gave a curt nod of his head in acknowledgement, Rauthain returned his greeting, Toby shifted uncomfortably as was to be expected, but the stranger remained indifferent.

“And just who might you be I wonder?” the hobbit woman asked eyeing him suspiciously.

“My apologies Mrs Banks, I forget that we have not been formally introduced, my name is Amandur, I also am one of the Kings Rangers and friend to Lady Lespheria, with whom I believe you are acquainted, she will be most please to hear that you are here safe and well, “he smiled.

“Miz Lespheria she is here!” the hobbit woman exclaimed. Amandur nodded, “Oh Mister Kaldir Miz Lespheria will be able to fix up Mister Dulrain, like she did miz Benia back at the inn!” said the hobbit woman with a little relief.

“The Healers of Rivendell will be able to fix us all up,” he laughed, indicating her own and Kaldir's injuries as well as his own.

As he spoke with the hobbit women the others passed them and mounted the stairs to the last house, as the stranger passed by he glanced down and sure enough, the tread left in the soft ground match those he had been following for several weeks. His distain showed as he looked up at the young mans back.

“Will you excuse me a moment Mrs Banks?” he hastily apologised and without waiting for her to answer he strode forwards towards the stranger, the image of Tallas’ cold body, the body he had to bury, again rose fresh in his mind. But before he reached the young man a firm hand gripped his right arm, and he looked up to see Rauthian. No words passed between them, he could see from the rangers eyes that he too knew or at least suspected that the young man had been in Naiore’s company and that he wanted to wait till the others where safely inside, before confronting him. Amandur nodded reluctantly and Rauthain released his grip, but he continued to keep a suspiciously close eye on the young man.