View Single Post
Old 04-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #106
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Ravion's Ramblers: Ravion

"Besides...her fear is not a normal fear. It is sheer terror. It is not as if there are orcs after us. There is no need for stealth."

Ravion was taken aback by Aeron's outburst. Gwyllion had gotten off very, very easily. He would have let fly with much harsher words, had Mellonin not distracted him. However, his surprise turned quickly to irritation. "How do you know that there are no orcs?" he asked. "You do not know where the orcs hide. And you think that stealth is unnecessary?" He folded his arms over his chest and looked up at the sky, then directly at Aeron. "I suppose that I have been usurped as the Ranger in residence. Perhaps you should lead us now, my brother." He smiled mockingly at the boy, who scowled deeply.

"If you can help it, try not to be ridiculous," Aeron said acidly. Ravion started to lunge at him, but stopped himself. He closed his eyes and counted to ten in a variety of languages.

"I am a hunter, Aeron," Ravion said slowly. "My whole life, I have been a hunter. A protector, a defender, a warrior...but also a hunter. No one knows how to track like a Ranger, and that is my strength as a Ranger. With a sword I am more than competant, but with a trail and a scent I am in my element. Mellonin's brother does not want to be found, I fear. He believes that he has another calling. If he finds that we are following him, he will flee. I cannot allow that. This is my mission. This is what I am to do now. If you think that you can do it better, then, by all means, take it up with Mellonin. Give her a detailed plan of how you propose to find her brother. Give her your credentials. How many people you have found. How many battles you have fought. All the years you spent in training." He raised his eyebrows, giving Aeron a brief chance to respond. When the boy did not, he continued. "Then let me do this my way."