View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004, 03:38 PM   #261
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Airefalas chuckled at the mental image of this small, rather scholarly-looking fellow strutting about before the mouth of the tent bristling with weapons for the benefit of his guard, but sobered quickly. If Airefalas had learned anything about the friends of his captain it was that while they may not carry a weapon so obvious as a sword, they were no doubt well-armed in other respects. At the mention of the other man's "birding expedition," however, he frowned slightly. Mithadan was on a "birding expedition" of his own, as it turned out. Knowing now the connection between Mithadan and the elderly istar, he wondered if the two were not actually on a related expedition, both of them searching for the same mysterious, but specific, Bird. It was certainly a possibility, but, Airefalas decided, that was Mithadan's business, not his own. What concerned him more was the rumor of dragons that Mithadan had confirmed, and the related threat to Gondor. Mithadan had already suggested that the two of them throw whatever support they could offer to the Eagles in defeating Wyrma and her followers, and Airefalas had agreed. What he wondered now was how and where Aiwendil and Rôg fit into the picture. His gut instinct told him that they were on the side of the Eagles, but he couldn’t help doubting that their presence was purely a matter of accident or serendipitous timing. He took a sip of wine and let his thoughts return to the ongoing conversation.

“....How is it that you find yourself in the Eagle camp?” asked Rôg, raising one eyebrow. “It will be interesting to hear the real story,” He added with a laugh. “You would not believe the tales that I’ve heard at the well early in the mornings, colorful rumors - flying thickly among the women . . .”

Airefalas grinned. “So, we’ve set the women abuzz, have we?” He laughed. “Actually it is a pretty colorful story.” He went on to relate how he and Mithadan happened to be in Umbar on a trading mission, their imprisonment in Falasmir’s palace and their subsequent escape. When he got to the part about torching the docks, he saw Rôg smile and nod, apparently having heard that part of it already. As he drew to the conclusion of the tale with his and Mithadan’s arrival at the Eagle encampment, he realized that he had omitted two significant details, both involving himself and Ráma. The first was the circumstances of his and Ráma’s first meeting, which was frankly embarrassing, what with him jumping at her like a lunatic when she had come to help them. The second was the incident with the sand viper at the oasis. He had not yet determined whether his actions had had any bearing on her subsequent change of heart regarding sending him and Mithadan north with the caravan, or if she had simply changed her mind for other reasons. As far as he could see, both details were rather incidental to the overall story, so he left them out. He could always fill in the blanks later if it became necessary.

As he concluded, Airefalas cast a glance in the direction of Mithadan and saw that he was still in deep conversation with Aiwendil, both of them speaking softly, their heads held close together. Not wishing to disturb them, he turned his attention back to Rôg.

“And so, my friend,” he said with a smile. “That is how we ended up here. But what I am wondering now is what we are going to do next.”

“Next we eat,” answered Rôg with a smile of his own. He picked up a set of plates and began to serve up the meal of stewed hen and flatbread, first serving Mithadan and Aiwendil, then Airefalas, and finally himself.

Airefalas waited for him to finish and sit down again before continuing the conversation with a slight change of subject. “You mentioned that you have had a past acquaintance with the Eagle clan as a child. Please pardon me if I am prying, but does this mean that you share their ability to change shapes?” He hesitated, then added. “You see, until I met Ráma-” he colored slightly “- I had no idea that shapechangers truly existed. Naturally, I am a bit curious.”