View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
My gut instinct is to say that while it might be the case that Glaurung could, that doesn't mean that dragons in general could. My instinct is to look to Smaug for an idea of what a "generic" dragon could do (Smaug is certainly powerful, but he's not the father of dragons).
Glaurung specifically seems have much more of Morgoth's fea imparted to him than Smaug, certainly.
That makes sense, as the descendants of Glaurung were offspring, and each generation would have diluted the original essence somewhat.

What I've wondered is this: Glauring, when he applies his power, can compel even the strong-willed, like Túrin and Nienor, to obey his commands. Yet Morgoth was unable to force the location of Gondolin out of Húrin. Maybe he should have let Glaurung have a go? But imagine the shame if Glaurung pwned Morgoth that way.