View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 AM   #36
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Fair enough. But your comment does surprise me, not least because there were a number of moments in RotK which, it seems to me, pretty much accurately visualised the powerful moments that Tolkien himself wrote. The charge of the Rohirrim, for one.
Actually I found this to be a major change from the book. In the book the Rohirrim sound their horns & charge, taking advantage of the surprise & shock of their sudden appearance, & charge straight into the enemy's flank, throwing them into confusion & so gaining the upper hand. In the movie they hang around giving the orcs time to prepare & set up a pretty effective defence. What would have happened in that case would have been that the Rohirrim charged onto their pikes, the front rank of riders would have been skewered, the horses & riders would have been thrown into chaos, the following riders would have tried to halt to avoid the confusion & the ones behind them would have crashed into them. Result: the Rohirrim would have been destroyed on the field & the enemy would have won. Similar to what happened to Boudicca's army.

Its all very cinematic, but ridiculous from a tactical viewpoint - just like their charge down a 45 degree scree slope onto pikes at the end of TT.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote