View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 10:49 PM   #32
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Arrr. This is a question that has been argued for ages. I gave up on it long ago. When I first read the books I was under the impression that all Elves were light-haired and fair. (From The Hobbit.) It was just the first impression I got - and I noticed that those with Man-traits (Elrond, FOTR) seemed to have dark hair and grey eyes.
But this has nothing to do with what we've learned from studying the different races of Elves and their mixing with Men. Those descriptions can get muddled and complicated.

Frankly, it's much easier to let one's mind wander and stick with the character of Legolas. I found him to be caring, at first, and somewhat disconnected, and then - haughty, frustrating, even snotty.
It was wonderful when he was finally worn down by the loss of the Hobbits. He mellowed quickly and seemed to shed his cold exterior for a much more worldly, friendly feel. His friendship with Gimli further pushed that sense of learning and wonder in Legolas. By the end of the books I felt quite comfortable with him. Tolkien certainly knew how to make a character grow and blossom.

[ June 27, 2003: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]