View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #92
Tilion the Wayward
Newly Deceased

Tilion the Wayward has just left Hobbiton.
While I was reading the books recently I was always looking for music to listen to whilst reading.

Enya - Boadicea
As has been said, Enya creates the perfect atmosphere for reading LOTR. One night while on vacation I was having trouble adjusting to the time change. I had been reading Fellowship at the time & so I put on my collection of Enya as it fit my mood & desire for sleep. I must have entered a 1/2 dream, 1/2 awake state b/c as I was listening to the celtish music of Enya, images of kingdoms & mountains & medieval hordes flowed through my brain, images I hadn't before been exposed to. This song in particular made me think of a vast impenetrable fortress such as Minas Tirith (though I hadn't yet read that far).

Lisa Gerrard - Devotion
From the album of the name The Silver Tree, no less. A haunting, ethereal piece that makes me think of leaving ME for the Grey Havens.

Hans Zimmer - Now We Are Free (yes I know it is from Gladiator)
This song easily conjures images of Elves singing either in Ithilien at the celebration for Frodo & Sam, or in their respective homes of Lothlorien or Rivendell after the destruction of the Ring. It is joyful but yet somber, given all that has been destroyed or will be leaving Middle Earth.

Quote:
"Now We Are Free"

[Originally performed by Lisa Gerrard & Hans Zimmer]

Anol shalom
Anol sheh lay konnud de ne um (shaddai)
Flavum
Nom de leesh
Ham de nam um das
La um de
Flavne...

We de ze zu bu
We de sooo a ru