View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 02:03 AM   #316
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Malris beheld Tasa, and grinned slowly in gradual realisation.

You were never tempted by the Harp's offer, dearling, nor could you ever have been. But you allowed me time to overcome the power of the instrument alone...Tasa, you have acted as my guardian soul.

He stood before the Harp, now shining pearl-white, and took the long knife from his belt.

"It is a shame to silence such beauty, but you tantalise the Eldar with an unlawful offer, Harp. I take my blade to you not to slight my lord, Maglor the Mighty, but to serve him. One day, perchance, there will be hope for him too, of reunion with his family and friends, and of long rest."

With a determined stroke of the knife, Malris severed the fine, taut harp-strings. And in that moment the harp lost its uncertain appearance, and was revealed as a light thing of carved, pale wood.

"It is without power now, Tasa, and it would take he who is lost to restring it fully. I shall take it, for I have a long voyage ahead, and I believe there will be need of music."

He threw down the knife and lifted the Harp up in one hand, laying his right hand on Tasa's shoulder.

Let us return to the others now, mellon-nir. You too have made the decision that contents your heart most. And one day, you will come to Mandos, and you shall meet me, with, I pray, Giledhel beside me. Thus all things may be healed.

Then he put down the harp again and embraced Tasa for a moment of relief and clarity. Malris retrieved the wooden instrument, and in such a manner they left the Tower, left the Keep, left the very fortress, and paid no heed to spirit, whether of stone or torch-bracket.