View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #22
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

Departing three days prior to the Riders of Bregoware . . .

‘They’re all here, Aldwulf! Best you get them sent on their way while the day is fresh.’ The March-warden’s wife handed him his leather vest and motioned to where she’d put his newly cleaned boots. ‘Out of those old slippers now, husband mine. There is business to be done.’

Aldwulf groaned as he settled himself on the bench by where the boots stood. ‘Woman, these days are getting harder on my old bones with each passing year. Come help me get these blasted boots on. It wouldn’t do if I hobbled out in my woolen socks to send the riders off!’

-----

Brand fidgeted as he stood with the others waiting for Aldwulf. His thoughts were on his little herd. Had his sisters’ husbands already penned them in with theirs; would they remember to take his remedies kit for them? Old Aegan, the bellwether, had a festering ear needed seeing to.

Thinking of the injured sheep prompted him to check the leather pack he’d brought with him. Yes, there it was, his box of salves and bandages. He grinned as his fingers drew out a small leathern roll, tied with cord. Brand only had to lift it near his nose to smell the twists of dried herbs his mother had put in it for the riders’ use.

-----

Aldwulf strode out to the little area where the four stood – Brand, Dorran, Vaenosa, and Incana. He thanked them for their willingness to do this service for their village, promising that he would see to the safety of their families while they were away. Since none of them had ever traveled to Edoras, Aldwulf gave them what he hoped would be clear and easily remembered instruction. They were to travel south along the Great River until they had cleared the Downs. Then, make for the west, the direction of the setting sun, across the grassy plains, he told them, until they came to the Entwash. ‘The Starkhorn should be slightly downriver from your line of sight. You can ford at the Entwade. If you’ve arrived too far down river, where you can see a smaller stream, the Snowbourn, running out of the trees on the other side of the Entwash, just work your way north until you come to the ford. Then ride for the Starkhorn on your left. Edoras lies at the foot of it and the Snowbourn empties from it.’ A few more words were spoken privately to each rider by Aldwulf, as he came down and clapped them one by one on the shoulders.

-----

Brand secured his pack and the leather bags he’d filled with food and other of the supplies Aldwulf had left out for them. Since they were riding down river for a while, he took four waterskins – two filled and two as extra that might be used when a source of water might be more scarce. His sword he secured to his saddle before him to one side, as well as his oaken cudgel to the other. He mounted up, as had the others, and raised his hand in farewell to the march-warden.

‘Some one of you should take the lead once we leave the village,’ he said, as they urged their mounts toward the high wooden gate. ‘I’ll take the rear and watch out for us from behind for today.’

He watched as they passed the gate and spread out into a line, turning south. The position at the back of the group was a familiar one for him as a shepherd, though he reminded himself it could well be more than the odd hungry animal they might face. He must keep eyes and ears alert.

Last edited by Arry; 02-05-2006 at 09:03 PM.