View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 04:11 AM   #34
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Wulfham

‘High spirited!’ Brand grinned at Dorran and shook his head. ‘What a kind thing to say! You work with Lord Aldwulf’s horses , don’t you? When I think of “high spirited”, I think of horses, filled with energy, to the point where there just about bursting from their skins, they’re so full of it. But it’s a good way to be . . . for a horse, that is.’ He looked appraisingly at Vaenosa. ‘No, she appears to me, at least, to be more like a large, sharp pointed burr beneath the saddle blanket. Irritating, maddening at times. And dangerous if she continues to be so prickly.’

He eyed the young man riding next to him, taking his measure. ‘There are only four of us, Dorran. We’ve never ridden this far together or in such dangerous times. We’ve got to be able to depend on each other, watch out for each other, and help each other as we can. There’s no room for someone who might put us in danger through foolish, self-willed choices. I’ll talk to her when I have the chance.’

Brand looked up at the sun, shining weakly in the hazy sky. It was warm enough now, he thought. But the night would grow cold out in the open. As the sun moved toward mid-day, he knew they would be nearing a small wooded area near the river. He asked Dorran if he knew of it. ‘We should stop there for our noon meal, gather a little wood for a small fire tonight. I’ve not been much farther than that down the river. I don’t know what sort of place we’ll find for our evening camp. Whether the land will be barren, or other stands of trees afford us some place to shelter.’ Brand frowned for a moment. ‘I suppose we ought to be watching out for any Orc sign, too. Avoid them if we can. Hmmm . . . I think that means, too, that a fire might be altogether out of the question if we suspect they might be near.’

With a restless gesture, Brand rubbed at the back of his neck. ‘I wish, now, I’d brought my dog, Patch. Could always depend on his eyes and ears and nose to warn of danger to the woolies.’ He smiled at the thought of Patch trying to herd this little flock in a safe direction. ‘As my Gran says, though, wishing don’t make it so. We’ll just have to be wary, won’t we Dorran. And pull together to finish the task the village has set us.’