View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan View Post
Well, not exactly. They are planning monthly, 60-card expansions - supplemental adventure/quest packs at $15.95 each. [You can add that to your monthly utility bills.] The first one is about Mirkwood and the Hunt for Gollum. At least there is no need to buy lots of booster packs of random cards in order to get what you need -all sets are fixed.
But that's in fact even worse! I liked collecting the stuff, yes, it got dangerous with the expenses, but that was the whole point: opening the booster and checking what cool unexpected things you got, or on the other hand, saying "Not again! I need to get another one ASAP!" The fact that all the sets are fixed just makes it a, well, normal game expansion.

Quote:
I loved the game too -especially when Ted Nasmith and John Howe started illustrating for it, but I think the creators were a little too interested in their "Kuduk Lore" and MERP world than with Tolkien's works. While there were Palantiri of Annuminas and Osgiliath items, they didn't offer those sites, and instead we got "The Wind Throne" and "Sarn Goriwing". Also a grave disservice was done to certain characters; Halbarad and Mablung are Dunedain Rangers, but these ICE characters were weaker than hobbits, Bergil or Ioreth and lacked Ranger skill! And they left off big chunks of the map -no Umbar, Rhun, Harad, Forodwaith nor Tol Fuin. Accordance with Tolkien's writing should be priority #1 and I hope Fantasy Flight will give us that.
Of course. But I liked that bit of uncanonicity of putting in a few other things, or had no problem with it. After all, they needed to cover some blank spots on the maps, or come up with some new characters who originate from Khand... er... right. And I believe that if they had continued, they would have eventually published e.g. Annúminas in some future expansion set (and several things unseen elsewhere have already appeared in some "regional expansion promo-packs" or whatever it was, I recall some Durthang or such places). But I concur with the Mablung-and-company-are-losers-stuff, the same actually goes for even more important characters like Éomer (who is less than half as powerful as, say, Boromir). But in the end, I have spent so much time with it that I have forgiven them.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote