View Single Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Cirdan
Animated Skeleton

Cirdan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
But that's in fact even worse! I liked collecting the stuff, yes, it got dangerous with the expenses, but that was the whole point: opening the booster and checking what cool unexpected things you got, or on the other hand, saying "Not again! I need to get another one ASAP!" The fact that all the sets are fixed just makes it a, well, normal game expansion.
It was fun opening packs (and I opened even more Magic:TG back in the day) but ICE seemed to be going the way of fixed sets at the end with their Balrog expansion. I blew waaay too much money on card games, but this new game gives me a sense of control that I appreciate. I think it will still be fun to open a brand-new set in an evolving game, but I don't have to buy the Hunt for Gollum or any pack if it doesn't appeal to me. I like that.

Quote:
Of course. But I liked that bit of uncanonicity of putting in a few other things, or had no problem with it. After all, they needed to cover some blank spots on the maps, or come up with some new characters who originate from Khand... er... right. And I believe that if they had continued, they would have eventually published e.g. Annúminas in some future expansion set (and several things unseen elsewhere have already appeared in some "regional expansion promo-packs" or whatever it was, I recall some Durthang or such places). But I concur with the Mablung-and-company-are-losers-stuff, the same actually goes for even more important characters like Éomer (who is less than half as powerful as, say, Boromir). But in the end, I have spent so much time with it that I have forgiven them.
Oh I didn't mind their expanding of the world at all, I just felt that Tolkien's stuff should have been adapted first in the basic set, and done correctly too. Lorien should be a region, Caras Galadhon a haven site. The White Towers should not be a ruins and lair of wolves (where orcs and undead are keyable), it should be a freehold since it never fell into ruin and was protected and maintained by my Elves at Mithlond!

All these things are fixable if I make alternate versions of characters, of sites and add the missing sites with photoshop and print proxies. And I can extend the the map too, since I just acquired Jo Hartwig's lovely original source map. I'm just wondering whether it's worth the time, when most of my card-playing friends have moved on.... I just recently pulled my cards out of storage after ten+ years and sold off my complete sets. Now I'm not sure what to do with the left-overs....

Once ICE folded, apparently some fans just kept it going anyway and created their own expansions with 1,800 new cards. These are playable online at GCCG.net. Cards like Annuminas are available there, and on a huge map adapted from MERP.

If you go here:
http://www.chrisvos.com/meuk/lackey/...ets/setimages/

and click "Great Worms" or "First Born" you can see some of these new fan-made cards.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote