View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Mandos has no power to grant any Choice. It was only granted once, by Manwe, after communing with the mind of Eru.
I'm sorry, I confused two concept, in my haste. Yes, of course it was Manwe who rules the Ainur, but I was focussing upon Mandos and the Halls of the Dead and his role in this. Mandos had a role in the outcome (as ruler of the houses of the Dead).

On this discussion item, two further points. The children of the Half Elven born after the Decree imply that Manwe did not 'waive a wand' once. The point I was making was that Gatekeeper (Mandos) and Decree (prior) hold over time.

The second point goes to interpretation of Canon about wording. At the time the Decree was made, there were no other Peredhil, and so the term subsumed all the living blended offspring.

The point goes to Doom, Grace, and precedent. There is no reason to conclude that (Manwe) through (Mandos) cannot or would not extend the Choice for another Union. Putting it another way: absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

Thank you for the correction, though. I'm curious to hear your thoughts about the other areas of discussion. Especially bloodline Unions and my sense that half casts and not half as powerful to each of their representative Race. The Peredhil, all were exceptional exemplars of *both* races. I don't belive lessening applies.

What do you think? Do you have any exceptional references that you can cite, or that are a good read?

Cheers