View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
I will respond to each point raised by Fin in order. Any to which I do not respond, I agree with.

SP-SL-03: This looks good, but perhaps we should include the bit from Dwarves and Men, footnote number 65:
Quote:
SP-SL-03.5 <DM Note 65 The Elves of Harlindon, or Lindon south of the Lune, {are said to have been}were largely of Sindarin origin, and the region {to have been}was a fief under the rule of Celeborn.>
SP-SL-04: I included this poem in Volume 3, but I suppose it fits somewhat here. Why do you want to include it here and not later?

SP-SL-07: The second part of this addition is from a larger paragraph used later on in Of the Rings of Power. Should we not leave it there? Or do you suggest repeating it? As for the first part and the addition of Amroth, I agree with the reasoning, but I am unsure if there is a pressing need to write something like this wholecloth. Do the rules allow for such invention?

SP-SL-08: This is fine, but in my version I added after this paragraph another insertion from Appendix A of Concerning Galadriel and Celeborn:
Quote:
SP-SL-08.5 <GC Appendix A Although the dialects of the Silvan Elves, when they again met their long separated kindred, had so far diverged from Sindarin as to be hardly intelligible, little study was needed to reveal their kinship as Eldarin tongues. Though the comparison of the Silvan dialects with their own speech greatly interested the loremasters, especially those of Noldorin origin, little is now known of the Silvan Elvish. The Silvan Elves had invented no forms of writing, and those who learned this art from the Sindar wrote in Sindarin as well as they could.>
SP-SL-12: I think the version you give in the draft post is better. The one you constructed in the commentary is far too mis-match, and I think is needlessly specific. I wholeheartedly support the shorter one which you gave first.

SP-SL-13, 14: This whole paragraph came together marvelously, but I have added the bit from the Shibboleth about her choice:
Quote:
...[Eönwë].> SP-SL-12.7 <SF Pride still moved her when, at the end of the Elder Days after the final overthrow of Morgoth, she refused the pardon of the Valar for all who had fought against him, and remained in Middle-earth.> SP-SL-13<The History of Galadriel and Celeborn For this and for love of Celeborn, who had SP-SL-14<The History of Galadriel and Celeborn escaped the sack of Doriath> and would not leave Middle-earth {(and probably with some pride of her own, for she had been one of those eager to adventure there)}, she did not go ...
I think this pride of hers is an important point to emphasize, especially since it's given in the Shibboleth from which we have taken much. But Perhaps this is not needed, or is redundant.

SP-SL-15: The part that says her birth is unrecorded is an editorial observation by Christopher, not a lore point by Tolkien. Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to stick to that as canon, and certainly no reason to include CT's editorial comment as part of the text. I personally see no issue with simply replacing Amroth's name with Celebrian.

SP-SL-26: I have another addition right before this paragraph talking about Oropher:

Quote:
SP-SL-25.5 <GC Appendix B Oropher was of Sindarin origin, and> < had come among {them}the Silvan Elves with only a handful of Sindar, and they were soon merged with the Silvan Elves, SP-SL-25.7 based on GC Appendix A {adopting}[learning] their language and taking names of Silvan form and style. This they did deliberately; for they (and other similar adventurers forgotten in the legends or only briefly named) came from Doriath after its ruin and had no desire to leave Middle-earth, nor to be merged with the other Sindar of Beleriand, dominated by the Noldorin Exiles for whom the folk of Doriath had no great love. They wished indeed to become Silvan folk and to return, as they said, to the simple life natural to the Elves before the invitation of the Valar had disturbed it.>
SP-SL-26 <GC Appendix B The Elvish folk of {this}Oropher's realm had migrated from the south, being the kin and neighbors of the Elves of SP-SL-26.1 {Lórien}[Lórinand]; but they had dwelt in Greenwood the Great east of Anduin. In the Second Age their king, Oropher, SP-SL-27{[} father of Thranduil, father of Legolas, {]} had withdrawn northward beyond the Gladden Fields. SP-SL-28 <Disaster of the Gladden Fields Note 14 They had left their ancient dwellings about Amon Lanc, across the river from their kin in {Lórien}[Lórinand]. Three times he had moved northwards, and at the end of the Second Age he dwelt in the western glens of the Emyn Duir, and his numerous people lived and roamed in the woods and vales westward as far as Anduin, north of the ancient Dwarf-Road (Men-i-Naugrim).> This he did to be free from the power and encroachments of the Dwarves of Moria, which had grown to be the greatest of the mansions of the Dwarves recorded in history; and also he resented the intrusions of Celeborn and Galadriel into {Lórien}[Lórinand]. But as yet there was little to fear between the Greenwood and the Mountains and there was constant intercourse between his people and their kin across the river, until the War of the Last Alliance.>
25.5 This paragraph describes the motivations of the Sindarin Princes of the Silvan Elves, and I think it is very important, not to mention discussing the linguistics a bit.

25.7 This paragraph dates to a time before Tolkien decided that the Silvan language had died out, and so I changed it to reflect his later views.

26.1 At this point in time, the country is named Lórinand, and so I think we should reflect that in the text. I have changed it in the following paragraphs as well.

28 This is from the note to the Gladden Fields. I felt that it fit better here in the narrative than in a random footnote to a much much later text, so I've moved it here.

This is an excellent chapter, and a brilliant start to the Second Age narratives! I'm very excited to go forward on this. I apologize for the length of the post.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote