View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 07:13 AM   #163
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Amandur

The remainder of the night worn on slowly, Léspheria remained silent and slightly withdrawn, as Amandur lead the way, stopping only to pick out the weak trail as they moved steadily onward. The light of his elf companions torch not giving enough light to distinguish the many fading prints, Forced him to light another, after this they made good time and with the growing light of dawn he felt confident they would catch up to the others soon.

Dismounting to check the trail, and stretch his weary muscles, he crouched down to again study the clues in the blanket of green, each bent and crushed blade showed that others had passed before them, two light footed elves, two men, one hobbit and six riders, as before. "Kaldir still travels with his guests in toe! With my kinsmen not too far behind," he said as he heard the soft clip of Léspheria's mare draw near, he turned to see that she had Kalloruvi's reigns in her hand and was looking at something above the trees, he lifted his head to follow her gaze, and then he too saw the tower of dark smoke.

"Naiore?" he asked, "Perhaps" she answered absently still looking in the direction of the smoke plume, "Then let us go see!" he said taking his reigns and swinging easily atop the black charger. Giving a sharp dig to the stallions muscular flank, he galloped off in the direction of the smoke, Léspheria slightly behind.

Several hours had passed since their first sighting of the spiralling tower of thick dark smoke and now it was all but pale wisps in the morning sky, he slowed the dark charger, stopping a short while later. He dismounted and studied three sets of hoof prints, they were fresh only hours old, cautiously he silently drew his sword, holding it ready, he heard Léspheria pull an arrow from her quiver, the bow made no sound, but he knew she would have it pulled back and knocked in readiness. Leaving the horses, they quietly drew near the camp circling to make sure no trap lay in wait, finding tracks at the other side of the camp; he conceded that it had been abandoned for some time.

Sheathing his sword he walked to the centre of the camp. Léspheria passed him and he saw that her bow remained taunt. He quickened his pace to keep up as she hurried towards the fire pit. The fire was out but the pit was still warm. He watched as she stooped and picked up a scorched piece of Vellum. She looked at it for only a second then thrust it into his hands, causing the chard edges to crumble, and then she stalked off. He watched as she crouched to the ground and ran her gloved hand gently across a faint print.

He then turned back to the Vellum she had pressed into his hands. Most of the fine Quenyan script was indistinguishable; he lightly blew on it, in a vain attempt to remove some of the ash. Still only, a few words remained recognisable... Menecin...Rivendell and near the bottom of the scorch page was Léspheria's name. His eyes widened and he looked up to regard the elf , she was now crouched beneath a spreading alder and as he walked toward her, he saw her now ungloved hand delicately stroking the knarled bark, her face a wash with sorrow and pain.

He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, but she stiffened and rose quickly turning away from him, since waking from her nightmare, she had hardly spoken two words to him and now this, "If I have some how offend, please tell me, but for pities sake do not torture me with your silence!" He saw her freeze, and then slowly she turned, raising her still bare hand to his face, his stomach knotting at her gentle touch. "You could never do wrong by me, my friend. But I will not give her a weapon which she could use against me and neither should you ... do you understand?" she whispered softly, her eyes showing the sorrow in her words. He stared for a moment then resignedly nodded his understanding.

"She heads for Imladris, My priorities have now changed!" she told him, lowering her hand, pulling on the green leather glove and retrieving her bow. "I must leave at once!"

"But what of the others?" he exclaimed calmly. However, by the set on her fair face he could see that she meant to go on alone, "No!" he said shaking his head. “Naiore is out there and she is not alone, if I have guessed right she now knows who you are and that you are here, she will be expecting you to warn your kin, you will be sorely out numbered, even I would not take those odds!” his voice remaining soft, but stern as he aired his concerns.

"Then what would you have me do! Stand by and wait for her to break the sanctity of the last safe refuge of my kin!?" she retorted, "No...", but before he could answer further a soft crunch drew their full attention, in one quick fluid motion, he turned, his sword drawn and his eyes scanning the camps perimeter, searching for the source of the sound. Beside him, he could feel Léspheria do the same, holding his sword in readiness he called out in a strong commanding voice "Show yourself!"

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Léspheria

.As they rode Léspheria's thoughts were ever bent on Naiore and Vanwe, every now and then she looked down to the gloved hands that gripped her mare's reigns, staring through the soft green leather and the pale skin to the warm blood within and each time a shiver ran down her spine. She knew they were of the same kin, Vanwe had said as much without knowing, back at the forsaken inn and in her dream her mother had called Naiore cousin, but was the bond that strong.

She had felt Vanwe's fear and pain as strongly as she had her own mothers, and it was taking all her will and strength to block out the continuing torrent of emotions, but she had felt Vanwe's resistance unrefined and raw yet powerful. At the same time, she struggled with her own emotions, the fear that groped at her soul always threatening to drag her into despair, the hate and anger she felt towards Naiore that could lead to her doom, her love for Amandur and her kin, which although it strengthened her heart, could be used against her...

Naiore is so strong how can I hope to stop her with only a handful of rangers at my side. If the lady Galadriel was still here then perhaps... her thoughts trailing as a familiar screech pulled her back to her present surroundings. They had come far in such a short time and Amandur had stopped again and was crouched a short distance away examining their trail. As she looked around to discern her position, she heard the screech again, it was a comforting sound that she heard often when her path in life lead to an unmarked juncture, but as usual when she looked up their was no sign of the bird that acted as her guide. But this time as her eyes rose skyward she did see something, not a bird but a thick black spiralling tower of smoke several hours ride north-west she reckoned.

A sign, she mused as she urged Losseserme forwards, picking up the reigns of Amandur's dark charger as she moved towards the diligent ranger, but she could not keep her eyes from drifting to the spiralling tower, was Naiore toying with her or had one of Naiores companions left the sign? She found herself pitying the fool who would make such a mistake while in Naiores Company.

"Naiore?" she heard Amandur ask, "Perhaps?" she answered absently, there was still the possibility that the Rangers had lit the fire, though she thought none of them fool hardy enough to let it smoke so, unless in need of help. "Then let us go see!" Amandur said as he took his reigns from her hands and mounted the stallion, she nodded to his back, then dug her heel into the mare's flank and galloped slightly behind the dark charger toward the dark sign in the dawns growing light.

After several hours hard riding, Léspheria following Amandurs lead slowing her mount to a gentle walking pace. The smoke had died and they again had to rely on the faint trail. After studying a fresh set of prints Amandur cautiously drew his sword, slipping silently from Losseserme, she readied her bow and followed him until they could see the hasty remains of a camp. using hand gestures Amandur gestured that they should circle the camp before entering, without word or sign that she understood she turned and silently slipped away to scout the left side of the camps perimeter.

The Tracks on the other side veered east instead of continuing west as expected, looking eastward, Lespheria became more anxious to examine the camp, as soon as Amandur appeared and concluded that the camp was empty, he sheath his sword and walked forwards. With her bow lowered but the arrow still knocked, she stalked past him straight to the smouldering fire pit. Moving the ashes with the toe of her boot, she found what she had expected; deftly she stooped and picked up one of the scorched pieces of vellum. She needed only one glance at the fine Quenyan writing to confirm her fears; she goes to Imaldris to finish what she began.

Thrusting the page into Amandur's hands, she turned and searched the ground for Naiores fine boot print, finding it she crouched to the ground and studied it for a second, had not Vanwe wore the heavy male boots of Gondorian make, their prints would be indistinguishable, but as it was the light print fainter than the rest was undoubtedly Naiore's. She back traced the prints to a spreading alder, but as she knelt to examine the spot her heart sank, blood stained the grey bark and strands of golden hair clung to its coarse surface where Vanwe had obviously struggled to escape her mothers grasp. Removing one of her gloves she delicately stroked the surface...There must be some way that I can stop this! She thought sadly. However, if Naiore were heading to Imladris, she would have to leave Vanwe in the clutches of her mother, to get to her kin before them, but if the opportunity arose, she would help Vanwe if she could.

She stiffened as she felt Amandur's comforting hand on her shoulder, standing she turned away from him, she had to remain focused and what ever feeling she had for the ranger had to remain hidden, for his safety if not for her own. "If I have some how offended, please tell me, but for pities sake do not torture me with your silence!" She froze where she stood his word tugging at her heart and crumbling her resolve, sighing and focusing what resolved was left she slowly turned and raised her still bared hand to his face.

"You could never do wrong by me, my friend. But I will not give her a weapon to use against me and neither should you, do you understand?" She whispered softly, seeing her own pain mirrored in his dark hazel eyes. He studied her for a few moments that burned in her very soul then he resignedly nodded his understanding. Pulling away and slipping on her glove, she told him of her need to head straight for Imladris, to warn her kin.

He objected to her going on alone, "Then what would you have me do! Stand by and wait for her to break the sanctity of the last refuge of my kin!" she retorted hotly, but before he could answer, they both heard a soft crunch. Lifting her bow and pulling back the string, she turned and scanned the perimeter of the camp. She held her bow ready as Amandur ordered who ever was present to show them self.

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-17-2004 at 09:23 PM.