View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 05:56 AM   #288
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Rauthain

After leaving Amandur, Rauthain went directly to the ranger’s lodging to look for Avanill there. But finding him gone and no one else about in that place, the old ranger hurried to gather those few things that he had brought with him on his journey, heaping them in a small pile within in hand’s reach of the door. When he had finished, he left again quickly to search not only for Avanill but Kaldir also, and it wore heavily on him as he strode over the grounds that he should find them. For he was eager that they make haste now that Amandur had bid them be ready to depart, and would leave this place just as soon as the horses were saddled and their provisions obtained.

Going to look for Kaldir’s room, the old ranger stopped those who passed by him, asking where the guests might be staying. He did not feel comfortable in the beautiful halls and gardens there, but as if he somehow were intruding on the place, disrupting the natural flow of activities, like a branch that water must swirl around in passing by. But at length his heavy boots found the threshold of the room he had been told was used by his friend, and though all was quiet inside, he knocked, the sound echoing lightly down the hall. “Kaldir,” he called, but no one answered. And so, after a few moments decision he opened the door that creaked on its ancient hinges. At first glance he thought he had the wrong chamber, for this one seemed unoccupied. Indeed Rauthain, finding it both empty and reasonably orderly, stepped into the room to check for a sign that anyone had lately been there. Crossing over to the bed, he ran his hand across its fine coverlet, but it appeared smooth and unused. And the fireplace, it was clean with newly stacked wood in the grate. And it was only when he opened the empty wardrobe expecting to find Kaldir’s weather worn bag and rope that he recalled Kaldir had lost his gear when his horse had run off in battle.

So the old ranger moved to close the cabinet door when he heard someone clear her throat behind him, to his relief, a woman by the sound of it. Turning, he saw Mrs. Banks standing in the doorway scowling at him, a fistful of green lacework in her hand. “What are you doing poking around here then, while Mr. Kaldir’s away?” she demanded of the ranger, in a manner that put him in mind of a small but outraged lap dog.

Placing one hand on his chest and stretching out the other, Rauthain bowed deeply to her saying, “My apologies Madam, but I see now that I indeed have the right room. I have been looking for our friend Kaldir, but from the look of it, this room is little used. Do you know where he might be found? I carry a message for him that is quite urgent.”

“I don’t know about any urgent messages, but I do know, he’s off on important business of his own. And also that you ought not be prowling around places you’ve no right to be, Mr. Rauthain!” she scolded “And I have half a mind to tell him that I’ve seen you here poking about his room, when he gets back.”

“Please see that you do,” Rauthain interjected. “For we are to leave as soon as we can ready ourselves. That is the message I carry, and I think he will also deem it an important one, if you would be kind enough to tell him.”

“I see,” the hobbit said, looking around her. “He don’t have much to pack here, as you can see. But he’d be needing a bite to eat on the road, won’t he?” she said thoughtfully. “I don’t expect you’d leave without him?”

“Without him? No, I should think not. Why? Where is it exactly that he has gone?” Rauthain enquired growing a little anxious. “And what is this important business you speak of. Surely he has not gone to seek the Ravennor alone!”

“No sir, it’s nothing like that. It’s Miss Benia…Miss Nightshade. She was in a bit of a quandary and needed to sort herself out,” the hobbit began.

“Ah,” Rauthain said, Quick to suppress a smile of relief, as he remembered his discussion with Kaldir about the lady only the morning before. “But what has that to do with Kaldir?” he asked.

“Well, everything really,” the hobbit continued. “But to the point, she was a bit distraught and Mr. Kaldir has gone to find her and make sure she is alright.”

“Do you know where they have gone? I do not wish to intrude upon them, but as I said it is urgent”

“No, I don’t know where either of them is. And to tell you the truth, I have not seen them for some time,” she sighed. “But if he hadn’t have found her wouldn’t he have returned?”

“I would think so. But there again I am no better off then when I began!” Rauthain said with a hint of exasperation. “But if by chance you see them would you tell Kaldir that we are to leave?”

“Yes, yes. You can count on it.” The hobbit said straightening out her tattling.

“And I will also keep an eye out for them,” the ranger said, cocking his head sideways to view her work. “You do nice lacework Mrs. Banks, if I might say so. My wife also used to be quite good at tatting in her youth.” Then suddenly remembering the shuttle that he had found by the river, he untied the pouch at his side and drew out the little wooden thing, handing it to the hobbit. “I think that you might get more use of this than I would, though it reminded me of her to find it.”

“This looks like the one I used to keep in my pocket, but lost when we crossed the river Bruinen!” she exclaimed.

“It very well might bethe same, for I found it also in the waters of the Bruinen, and I’m glad it has found you again. But if you will excuse me, I must set about my business. Do not forget to pass on the message!”

“Thank you sir, and I won’t.” Mrs. Banks called after Rauthain, as he walked down the hall and outside once again.

It had been quiet some time since Amandur had charged Rauthain with the task of finding his two fellows, and still the old ranger had not been able to alert them. Now after looking again about the house he decided to return to Amandur to tell him of the delay, and strangely enough as he walked toward Amandur’s quarters he met Avanill walking along the path in the opposite direction.

“Hey there, Avanill!” Rauthain hailed him. “I bring from Amandur news that we are to leave immediately, but I have not found Kaldir. Have you seen him today?”

“Earlier on, I saw him entering a garden, but not since then,” Avanill said gestering back up the path.

“Isn’t that the way of it?” Rauthain grumbled. “And now I suppose we might never find him! Was he alone?”

“Yes, quite alone, and looking about there quite intently, though he seemed more interested in the ground than the blossoms. Why do you ask?”

“Evidently, the blossom he was looking for was Miss Nightshade, who had gone off on her own. I imagine I should try to find one or the other of them then, for I don’t think they would be far apart, but wish me good hunting if you will.”

“I do then. Is there something that I could do, meanwhile?” the young man asked.

“I suppose you might get our horses saddled. It shouldn’t take Kaldir long to prepare once we’ve found him,” Rauthain said as he started to leave. “I will let Amandur know were I am going,” he called over his shoulder. “But you might want to let him know when you and the horses are ready.”

By the time Rauthain reached the quarters there were a few rangers about, and Amandur was not to be found among them. The afternoon was already growing late and the old ranger did not want to wait, but still he pulled out a chair from under the small table, and sat for a while, waiting for Amandur to return and collect his things.

Finally, eyeing the cloak that lay over Amandur’s bags, he got up and slipped from his shoulder the satchel containing Avanill’s stores. He held it in his hands, as if weighing something in his mind, but then got up and walked over to the cloak. Placing the sachel under the soft folds, he was careful to conceal it well. He could wait no longer and would not have Avanill jump him in the lonely garden, to take off with these potent powders. At least this way too Amandur might have a little more hold on him, when the boy came back with the horses.

Closing the door behind him, Rauthain left making quickly for the garden were Avanill had last seen Kaldir.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 09-13-2004 at 05:18 AM.