View Single Post
Old 07-17-2002, 07:31 PM   #224
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdland flew down the stairs into the galley, whipped mop and polishing cloth from the hands of Halfling and Hobbrim, and commenced to dance a springle ring with the dirty mop head.

"Enough of this swabbing! Kali, I believe that Mith could see his scowling visage reflected in that brass now."

"The sun is going down, the waves have soothed themselves, and it's time for us to go to sea. The dinghy has been lowered for those too fussy or faint-hearted to join us below. But Pio, Kali, Veritas and I propose to go for a swim!"

Birdie led the laughing hobbits up on deck, where she saw Khelek deep in discussion with Angara. Flouncing over the the Elf-Lord, she stood, arms akimbo before him and said "Studying at sundown is bad for the eyes, but there is enough light left for us to hunt our supper, if you care to attend us, my Lord. This may be our last chance to venture under the waves, since by tomorrow we may be in VERY strange waters. And besides," she added with a glance toward Pio, "it is time that you met a most important member of our party, who unfortunately, is limited in his ability to visit with us on deck."

Kali ran towards the rail, more than ready to venture off the ship after a day of galley duty. But he paused as he saw Daisy hanging back. "I don't know if I can swim in the Deep. I've only been on rivers before."

Bird, Pio and the others looked between the two "cousins". Then Birdie said, "Well, you could not find a better guide for the first time than Kali."

Kali held his hand out to the young Halfing and smiled. Slowly, doubtfully, Daisy reached out and clasped it.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]