View Single Post
Old 06-27-2003, 07:41 PM   #43
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Bęthberry watched Leavin proceed cheerily to his favourite table and was again thankful that Edoras had such good-hearted citizens as he. Then she turned to the bedraggled traveller who seemed astonished by the act of kindness. There were too many such as he struggling throughout the land these days.

"Come, we've lots of room for travellers tonight. I'll get Delia to show you to your room and draw some hot water for you to freshen up. Mind you don't take too long, for if I miss my quess, Leavin will be seriously disappointed if he has to wait too long before he can share some tales and ale with you."

With exhaustion mixed with hesitation, the man nodded and followed Delia to his room.

The Innkeeper then popped into the kitchen, where Froma, his face flushed less by the heat of the ovens than by his favoured ale, was doing his best to run his staff ragged. She winked at Iswyn.

"Froma, I think the children will be deserving of a treat today. Could you see they get some strawberries and cream?"

"And am I now the nursery help?" the bluff fellow retorted, rubbing his floured hands in his great apron before taking another gulp of his tankard.

"Well now, if you drown your culinary talents in too much ale you might be wanting another occupation."

"Be off with ye and out of my kitchen before you say another miserable word about my food. I'll have none descrying my cooking here, not even you, Innkeeper."

A grin spread across his face as he said this, a grin matched by one on Bęthberry's face as well. With a nod, she withdrew, almost running into Mia whose arms were laden with dirty plates and glasses and who called for four more servings of beef and pies.

[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: Bęthberry ]