View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 07:20 PM   #17
Manôphazân
Pile O'Bones

Manôphazân has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to Platoon Leadership

Lan’kâsh looked at the pale, bug-eyed man and grinned as a humorous thought came into his mind. The impertinent youth had obviously intended to volunteer himself for a leadership position, and just as his intent was plain to see, so was his complete unsuitability for the job. Soldiers needed experienced men to follow, and the long nosed fellow in front of him appeared to have barely weathered boot camp.

The lieutenant’s grin tightened into a less jovial line as he turned to address the self-appointed ‘officer’ beside him. “Who are you, and what are you doing in my formation? The short man jumped as Lan’kâsh struck him across the face.

Before Jinan could answer, Lan’kâsh struck him again with a backhand snap of his right hand. Blood splattered from is mouth, and the astonished soldier fell to his knees, unable to keep his balance after the unexpected assault.

“Gimilzôr,” he shouted, looking for the recruiter. He found him still standing at his side. “Is this rat one of yours? He is dressed as a soldier, but he is not standing in the ranks.”

“No sir,” replied Gimilzôr, coolly. “He’s not one of mine.”

“Sergeant Benel,” said Lan’kâsh in a quieter voice. He was overcoming his anger and returning to a semblance of his normal, quiet self. “Do you know this man?”

“Yes sir, I believe I do know who he is,” said the sergeant, kneeling down to look the bleeding man in the eye. “If I am not mistaken, he’s one of the young captain’s men.”

The dark lieutenant looked down at the man he had attacked, considering if he should strike him again. “Are you sure? He doesn’t look like a lancer to me.”

Jinan saw an opportunity, and rose to meet it. “No sir, I’m not a lancer, but I am with the captain.” He drew back to avoid any further blows, but none came, so he continued. “The captain has reassigned me to your company and insisted that I come to you and offer my assistance personally.”

He reached into a pocket and pulled out a crumpled scrap of paper, which Sergeant Benel tore from his fingers and handed to Lan’kâsh. The lieutenant read it carefully and pushed it into his own pocket. He removed his helmet and ran his fingers through his long hair, looking across the road to the motley collection of farmers that Gimilzôr had brought him.

“Another gift from the captain,” he grumbled. “How wonderful.”

He grew quiet and put his helmet back on. After several moments of silence he turned to Gimlizôr with a wicked grin.

“These two men are immediately promoted to Corporal and are each to be given a platoon of 25 of your farmers. Their men will supplement your company. Sergeant Benel will lead the Harnen Crossing platoon, and I, of course, will lead you all.”

He raised his voice so that everyone present could hear him clearly. “Be ready to leave this town at sundown.”

Lan’kâsh turned without another word and walked into his headquarters.

Last edited by Manôphazân; 02-25-2004 at 08:18 PM.