View Single Post
Old 02-27-2004, 09:42 PM   #27
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Anhelm nodded to Adenain. "Take however much money you need for repairs. It won't do for a leaky roof to be sheltering the head of one of my men.

"As for your first question, I have men out patrolling the borders, of course, but we don't spend much time outside of the borders. I've sent some men on exploration--there are some out now--scouts and such, to see where the Haradrim are. To see how far they are from the settlement. So far they have--the Haradrim, I mean--they have kept mainly to their own territory, but gradually they've been sending a man, two men, to spy on us in turn."

He stopped, taking a long, hard look at the two men in front of him. They were ready, willing, and not pleased with being cooped up inside the settlement, to all appearances. He bit his lip contemplatively, looked at his desk and willed his fingers to be still--he had been drumming again. Wait, no, he hadn't. He looked up abruptly and realized that someone was knocking on the door. "Come in," he said, a worried frown on his face.

A young man came in, perhaps seventeen. He was a scout, Anhelm knew, and the fastest runner of all the scouts. He looked winded, though. "Report," Anhelm said shortly, standing up in alarm.

"The Haradrim, sir," the scout said breathlessly, gasping for air. "They're on the move. They've left their city, and they might be on the way here."

Anhelm nodded, cracking his knuckles absent-mindedly. He turned to Adenain and Astalder. "This is how it begins, men," he said, his voice low and a little dangerous. The scout looked uneasily at his captain. "One move, one little move, something with ambiguous motivation. No." He slammed his open palms down on the table, causing the scout to jump. "This isn't going to happen. We won't let them catch us off-guard. Suit up. We won't be aggressive, but I will die before I let this settlement be caught unawares. We will be prepared, we will be ready, and if the Haradrim get here, they will be met with an ambush. Until we know for sure if they are coming here, we will just be ready." All of his strength seemed to seep out of him, and he looked down at the table in dismay. He wasn't prepared for this. No one in the settlement was. How did this happen?

Last edited by Orual; 03-02-2004 at 08:54 PM.