View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 10:04 AM   #445
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Raefindan

Raefindan smiled to see Ravion kneeling before Aeron, and Aeron's face working through surprise, discomfiture, then acceptance. Ah, life was good.

"I hate to break up the party, my friends, but we have a serious matter on our hands that must be dealt with at once. Ravion, I only accept the lead because you do not. I'll speak no more of it, for now. You are the ranger and the one who knows the most of the healing arts. What can we expect for Gond and Erundil? And what are our chances of finding Mellonin and Gwyllion?"

A cold voice came from over the water. "You have no chance of finding them."

It was the elf, standing on the far side of a pond, beyond the throw of any knife. He had bow and arrow stretched taut, aimed at Raefindan.

"Do not think you can do aught for them, for it is I who have taken and hidden them. They are under my power, and you would do well to remember that."

"They better not be dead!" Aeron shouted in fury.

The arrow's aim switched from Raefindan to Aeron. "They are not dead until I choose. They are more useful to me alive. You will do as I say if you wish to see them again."

"What do you want?" Raefindan asked.

"Go back to Gondor. Leave my lands."

"Lands?" Aeron muttered with a smirk. "He means waters."

Ravion turned to Raefindan. "He does not want us to go north, I think."

Raefindan nodded. "We shall leave your swamp. We've been trying to. We will continue north."

"You will not! Go back to Gondor, or you will receive back only corpses!"

Raefindan thought quickly. It was paramount to save the lives of Mellonin and Gwyllion, despite their quest.

"We will do as you say. But we cannot go until our party is healed from the wounds you have caused."

"They will be well by nightfall. Know that I have worse poisons should you try anything foolish. Get horse and man on their feet and be on your way at once, or one of you shall receive another wound, only this time the poison will kill. Do as I say. At Once!"

"Ravion," said Raefindan, keeping his eye on the elf, "see to Gond. I don't trust this elf, but I don't see any help in inviting an early death. Aeron, help me get Erundil to his feet."

"We should fight!" Aeron said, his face working with rage at the elf.

"I would at the drop of a hat - if I had one - but we must stay alive and see that Gwyllion and Mellonin are brought back to us, safe."

"If he does not lie," Aeron pointed out.

"Yes, that has occurred to me. Our situation is bad. We must trust an elf we know we cannot trust, or die. Give me aid with the ranger."

Aeron frowned with frustration and nodded, and the two got the ranger to his feet.

"You shall go the way your errant ranger was taking," said the elf.

"I think he means me," Ravion said ruefully.

"Ravion, you lead with Gond," Raefindan said. "We will follow."

They marched down the path as it wound through the swamp. The sun reached its zenith and they stopped to eat. When they were done, Aeron spoke his mind.

"That elf is gone. Let us go look for them!"

An arrow skewered the wet earth within inches of Aeron's hand.

"I think your answer is given," said Raefindan.

They marched all afternoon, and darkness fell. Erundil and Gond had improved. They set up camp in the driest spot they could find, slept the night, fitfully, without a watch, for Raefindan concluded that they were under as careful a watch as could be had.

The sun rose, and Erundil and Gond were well again, though Erundil was pale. They broke their fast and marched on, sure that an elf was not far away, an arrow trained on them at all times. The long day past without incident, and night came on again, still with no end to the swamp. But Ravion assured them that they were at least headed back toward Gondor. They slept the night without watch again.

When they woke, Gwyllion lay amongst them in a deep sleep, her face pale and drawn, as if she had witnessed a loved one's death.