View Single Post
Old 04-09-2002, 12:51 AM   #29
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Nevtalathiel, I think it was a poor choice of words on my part [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] . What I meant was "explain how" - a couple of lines by Saruman would be sufficient - NO show-and-tell for that part please, Mr. Jackson! Rosa mentioned the part about "breeding Orcs and men" and it did sound sort of like Saruman was the evil and much more dramatic precursor to Gregor Mendel, that's all.

Anyway I'm still thinking the Orc-women were underneath some mountain somewhere, though it would make sense that they'd be fighting along with they guys, except that they're all called "he"...wait...that's it! Maybe Black Speech only has one pronoun! (Like Turkish, where "o" means he, she and it - depending on context). So when they speak Westron, they're not used to using different pronouns, so they just use "he" to mean he, she, and it. That would explain it. It wouldn't explain the lack of young Orcs in the fortresses and so forth, but then, the war hasn't been going on THAT long.