View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #30
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden had paid little attention to the siblings’ quarrel. He had grown up with too many bothers and sisters himself to mind a few sharp words. He ate his meal with a good will, having ridden all afternoon and eating nothing since mid-day. He said nothing to any of his neighbors as he ate. His mind worked busily, thinking of everything that had happened that day.

When the meal was over and the board had been cleared, he sat still with his hands wrapped around a warm mug of tea while most of the others got up and moved about in different groups around the room. After a few minutes, he drew a deep break and looked up, as though awakening from a dream. He glanced around, lifted the mug to his lips and drained the rest of the lukewarm liquid and set the mug back on the table as he got up.

He looked around the people still gathered in the hall. Eodwine sat by the fire, apparently lost in deep thought. Off to one side, sitting face to face by the wall, sat Garstan and Stigend, talking with their heads bent close together. Thornden went towards them. He stopped a couple feet away and waited for a pause to come into their conversation and for them to notice him.

Only a few seconds passed before Garstan slowly lifted his hand and then turned and looked at Thornden. Thornden stepped forward. “May I join you? I would like to hear what you accomplished today. I was gone most of the day.”

“Certainly, Thornden, and welcome,” Garstan answered. “Pull up a chair. Stigend and I were only discussing the new member of the hall.”

“The twins, you mean,” Thornden said, half turning to reach behind himself for a chair. He swung it around and straddled it as he sat, placing his arms on the back. “There are two of them, you know. They are an interesting set, to be sure,” he went on, his eyebrows contracting for a moment. But then his face cleared again. “I think all will be well, though. Eodwine is a good judge of character. Besides that, Falco and your son Garmund were the first ones to find them and I have a feeling that if they were dangerous, it would have shown before now.”