View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
I think this chapter flowed surprisingly well considering the number of sources it pulled from. Great job! I only have minor comments.

1)
Quote:
Thus he captured the ships of the Enemy, and came up out of the deep by the waters of Anduin to the succor of Gondor in the hour of its despair; for the city of Minas Tirith was encircled by the armies of Mordor and was perishing in flame.
I feel like "Enemy" is way too vague here. I think making it more specific helps tie it back to the previous history of Umbar.

Quote:
Thus he captured the ships of the {Enemy}Corsairs of Umbar, and came up out of the deep by the waters of Anduin to the succor of Gondor in the hour of its despair; for the city of Minas Tirith was encircled by the armies of Mordor and was perishing in flame.
2) I propose we keep "Then a new line was begun" in WR-SL-05.7. It serves as a transition between Theoden's death and discussion of who succeeds to the throne:

Quote:
Théoden {falls.} WR-SL-05.7b <Appendix A {He} fell before the gates of Mundburg. For a while he rested in the land of his birth, among the dead Kings of Gondor, but was brought back and laid in the eighth mound of his line at Edoras. Then a new line was begun.> WR-SL-05.8 <Appendix A In the War of the Ring Théodred fell in battle with Saruman at the Crossings of Isen. Therefore before he died on the Fields of the Pelennor Théoden named Éomer his heir and called him king.
3) I randomly found something in one of the Letters which I think fits well here.

Quote:
WR-SL-19 <Appendix A And after the War the days of the Ruling Stewards came to an end; for the heir of Isildur and Anárion returned and the kingship was renewed, and the standard of the White Tree flew once more from the Tower of Ecthelion.> WR-SL-19.5<Letter 244 Aragorn re-established the Great Council of Gondor, and in that Faramir, who remained by inheritance the Steward (or representative of the King during his absence abroad, or sickness, or between his death and the accession of his heir) would {[}be{]} the chief counsellor.> WR-SL-20 <ORP Thus peace came again...
In that letter, there is also discussion of the politics of Gondor, but I didn't think it was appropriate in a narrative like this.

4)
Quote:
And on the day of the New Year of the Elves. Celeborn and Thranduil
There should be a comma instead of a period.
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote