View Single Post
Old 12-07-2002, 02:12 PM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Some contributions to the ongoing debate of book vs. movie:<P><B>Elendur</B>:<BR>Never connect the movie with the books. They are two separate things. It's a movie. It's a movie. It's a movie. It's a movie. It's a movie. Do you get it? Movie | Book. Not Movie = Book. Ok? Lord of The Rings movies? Wow. That is a coincidence that it has the same name as the books I love. I should go see those movies to experience them for themselves. Not experience the movie as a visual of the book. Ok? I hope I have made myself clear here. <P><B>Susan Delgado</B>:<BR>These movies are NOT Tolkien's vision of Middle Earth; they are a collaboration between Jackson and the writers. They will naturally have different views of the events, and I for one am glad of it. It allows me to see the story through someone else's eyes and get a different perspective. Such an opportunity is quite rare and I'm glad of it. I feel the same way about Arwen's expanded role: it's just a different perspective of the same basic story. <P><B>Rimbaud</B>:<BR>I doubt Tolkien would have objected to a misstelling of his story. It was never intended to be concrete. Myths swell and distort over time - think King Arthur, Robin Hood et al - and so Tolkien hoped, perhaps, for his writings to be considered. I believe this to be the reason for PJ to have sanctioned plot changes etc... If it works for the film - which is correctly identified above as a stand-alone work - and is unlikely to have offended the author...well, then I see few problems with it. <P><B>Cazoz</B>:<BR>You can't stay too faithful to the book to make a universally liked film. If PJ had been more literal, the film might have dragged more for the non-Tolkien audience and the attention to detail and meticulosity that we all love might have been interpreted as pedantry by many others. <P><B>Elenna</B>:<BR>The whole purpose of this forum is to discuss Tolkien's books and the movie. Therefore if some of us have a negative opinion, we are free to express it. <P><B>Bethberry</B>:<BR>I have to disagree with those who think that the posts here are simply whining complaints about PJ or Blanchett. Many posts are more than just simple opinion. They put forth reasons or ideas in defense of a position or offer relevant facts. This is what a discussion is about, trying to determine the basis or criteria which we use to analyze a movie or a performance, finding some kind of comparison or yardstick by which to evaluate or judge something. <P>No one is trying to change PJ's mind. Rather we are trying to learn something about how to "read" the movie and come away with a better understanding of acting or movie-making. That is what a discussion board is all about, isn't it?<p>[ December 07, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote