View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 08:56 AM   #8
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tar Elenion wrote:
Quote:
The description of the riders from the 7th Gate and the captains and chieftains being mounted in UT establishes that the Gondolindrim warriors did ride.
Ah, thanks. I suppose something must be done about it then.

Findegil proposed:
Quote:
but [Talagand] bore one of gold, and he alone rode into that battle of all the sons of the Gondolindrim, and he was heavy and squat.
My only possible problem with this is, again, that the battle has not yet been joined, so "that" would seem to lack an antecedent. I suppose it may work, though; the enemy has already been seen and it is clear that a battle will occur.

Tar Elenion, did you have another alteration in mind for this bit?

Maedhros wrote:
Quote:
As for Talagand being heavy and squat, it doesn't seem to me like the description of an elf.
It certainly does seem odd, but I don't think it's odd enough to warrant a change. I suppose, to be technical about this, we must ask whether there was some general change in Tolkien's conception of Elves after the Lost Tales which would invalidate the heavy and squat Talagand. I don't see any such change. I may be wrong.

Tar Elenion wrote:
Quote:
In my reading the "save it be old Salagant" sounds more like a physical description of his appearence (i.e. he looked like an old man), rather than just his age.
Hmm . . . to me it does not suggest that he looked elderly. What do Maedhros and Findegil make of this point? The quote is:

Quote:
but Earendil would not be borne in her arms, for he said: 'Mother Idril, thou art weary, and warriors in mail ride not among the Gondolindrim, save it be old Talagand!' and his mother laughed amid her sorrow; but Earendil said: 'Nay, where is Talagand?' - for Talagand had told him quaint tales or played drolleries with him at times, and Earendil had much laughter of the old Elf in those days when he came many a day to the house of Tuor, loving the good wine and fair repast he there received.
Findegil wrote:
Quote:
But I still vote for the savest way and the elimination of ", or flung from the walls".
I agree.

Quote:
And in response to Tar Elenions suggestions I would go with Aiwendils old suggsetion 2:
Change to "tall among the Noldor". We're allowed to do this by our principles I think, since it's a minimal change.
I could go with "tall among the Noldor" or "Penlod the Tall". The former retains the suggestion that he was unusually tall specifically among the Noldor; the latter is safer since it's a simple epithet instead of creative writing.

Tar Elenion wrote:
Quote:
I hope the original post was constructively helpful.
Indeed it was. Thank you.

Findegil wrote:
Quote:
May be someone could e-mail it to me.
What is your e-mail address?
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote