View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #231
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
Episode XI The Battle of Pelannor Fields

Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts everyone. I had my last test today, a cool thing called a PillCam. It basically is a camera that is pill sized and goes through your entire GI track. I should have results back in 5 to 12 days; sooner if its bad, longer if it is a disease that will cause lifestyle changes and medication for life (guess which I am hoping for!).

Anyway, here is my recap to Episode XI:

Transcript is here: http://www.tolkienradio.com/pelennorfields.html

The Episode begins with Sam and Frodo escaping from Cirith Ungol. I found this very interesting as in listening this time, I was able to really focus on the burden that is growing on Frodo. Sir Ian Holm is wonderful as we have mentioned and one of the things I like about this portrayl is Sir Ian is able to convey not only the burden, but how Frodo has changed. I listened to an earlier broadcast (The Shadow of the Past) and found that I really liked how much Frodo has changed. At this point I don't think Frodo is really deeply reflective or forward thinking. The quest is consuming him and inspite of knowing this, he continues on.
One of the things I thought while listening and reading the transcript was how another actor would have read these lines? Not being an actor, but having done some extra work I wonder if the actors/actresses practiced with each other (rehearsing) or if they just learned their lines and then came together for the takes? But back to my point here, I do wonder if a new version was made with different actors how that would differ from the original? I just cannot see anyone but Ian Holm doing this.

The scene then moves to a meeting with Beregond, Pippin and Denethor. More on that later. From here the Lord of the Nazgul directs Grond to destroy the Main Gate of Minis Tirith, and the conflict between Gandalf and the Lord of the Nazgul I don't know why I have never made this connection but this scene really connected me with the Battle of the Balrog.

At the Bridge:
Gandalf: You cannot pass. I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udūn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.

[The Balrog roars fire]

Gandalf: You cannot pass, I say! Back to your darkness!

[The Balrog roars again]

Gandalf: Back from this place, or I shall plunge you into the abyss! Then fall, spawn of Melkor, fall!

[Gandalf's staff breaks the bridge. The Balrog flings its whip, catching hold of Gandalf, who cries out]

Frodo: Gandalf!

[Gandalf's voice is quickly lost]

Gandalf: Fly, you fools!

At the Gate of Minis Tirith:

Gandalf: You cannot enter here! Do you not see that Dawn is at hand? Go back to the abyss prepared for you. Go back! Fall into the nothingness that awaits you and your master. Go!

[The Lord of the Nazgūl laughs coldly]

Lord of the Nazgūl: Old fool! Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!

[A clear horn is blown in the distance]

Gandalf: The horns of the Rohirrim! Théoden is come at last!

[The Lord of the Nazgūl screams in anger as he retreats]

Narrator: The darkness was breaking too soon; before the date that his master had set for it. Victory was slipping from his grasp even as he stretched out his hand to sieze it. But his arm was long. King, Ringwraith, Lord of the Nazgūl, he had many weapons. He left the Gate and vanished.

Gandalf: Turn back...

[A horn cries]

Gandalf: ...lord of darkness! Flee from the Gate of the City whose gates you were never destined to enter. The Riders of Rohan are come!

I think the similarities are easy to recognize between the two meetings as Gandalf warns the subject of evil to leave and go back to its darkness. Neither creature (Balrog or Nazgul Lord) hearken to the warning and in the end, both are destroyed.

Of course the difference is that Gandalf does not destroy the Lord of the Nazgul directly as he did the Balrog (but certainly Gandalf's rousing of Theoden and Rohan has an indirect result of the slaying of the Nazgul Lord). Anyway, again, something after 27/28 years of reading LOTR, I should have picked up on that a long time ago.

I have to say that Jack May stole the show so to speak for me in this episode. I think, no, I know that for me I love his portrayal of Theoden was wonderful. A warrior lord who is coming to the 'battle of his time' and meets it head on regardless of age (and being in one's 70's would mean a loss of some energy and strength regardless of shape).

I also picked up another comparison. When the Lord of the Nazgul arrives and Theoden shouts "To me! To me! Up Eorlings! Fear no darkness!" it really reminds me of Thorin at the Battle of Five Armies where Thorin shouted "To me! To me! O Elves and men! To me! O my kinsfolk." I find it interesting that both faced a doom being either outnumbered or not capable of defeating a mighty opponent.

I think both Theoden and Eowyn (Jack May and Elin Jenkins) show that inspite of fear, they act and act with great courage and perhaps that is the definition of courage; to act inspite of fear that is wanting you not to act but to flee the situation. I've always wondered why a woman had to slay the Lord of the Nazgul and listening this time a thought occurred to me. The Lord of the Nazgul was given life by a woman, and his choices eventually made it to where he rejected normal life, and excited as a wraith. Thus since a woman gave him life, a woman would take his existence, his life so to speak from him. The other thought I had was the notion of love. I believe Eowyn at this moment acted out of love for Theoden. Merry acted out of love also. The Lord of the Nazgul acted out of evil, malice and for domination. Thus a woman (and I believe by nature they are more caring then most men) and a hobbit who as a hobbit, is focused on the greater things of life, friendship, good food, love etc., are able to defend their lord and each other from this selfishness. I thought that Elin Jenkins really showed to me the unselfishness of Eowyn in this act. I really loved this scene. My only criticism is the importance of the dagger of Westernesse that Merry used to stab the Lord fo the Nazgul. It was that dagger/sword that allowed Eowyn to destroy him but in thinking this over today, how do you convey that outside of a written text? So though I label it a criticism, perhaps it just shows how a diehard fan I am and I have to be careful with that in reviewing an adaptation that I allow leeway here as I did for Tom B. earlier.

Another insight I gained and I thought that Peter Vaughan did a great job in showing this is the pride of Denethor. It really hit me here how Denethor thinks that his house, the House of the Stewards of Anarionis greater than the House of Isildur (and Aragorn was the heir of Anarion also!), and how he only wants to rule his time, and have a son succeed him. I also thought the palantir showed here also really showed Denethor's pride in that he thought he could equal the kings whose right it was to use the stones. His house had no such right yet he thought he had the strength. What is that saying about pride, it cometh before a . . . .

An easy comparison are the deaths of Theoden and Denethor. Theoden has fulfilled his duty and obligations, and has died doing so. I loved how Jack May said the lines a "Grim Morn, a Glad day, a Golden Sunset" as a way to describe the day and the affects of it. It was a grim day at the beginning with little hope for victory. A glad day it became because oaths had been fulfilled and the battle looked to be going good. A golden sunset as Theoden would no longer live to see it, but he had fulfilled his oath and I guess, redeemed himself for his inaction under Wormtongue. Denethor though in despair, takes his own life, and attempts to take the life of his son out of selfishness, to ease his own death like the heathen kings under the control of the Dark Lord, which is what has happen. Regardless one of the things I really like here is that there is a confrontation of words between Denethor and Gandalf before Denethor takes his own life.

Another thing I was so happy that is included is the passing of the mantle of kingship between Theoden and Eomer. I think this is important for those who listen who may not have read the books. Eomer is the heir now and thus becomes King. This explains so much of his actions later.

Yet another thing I was happy to see is the role of women brought out in this episode. I have talked about Eowyn, yet the adaptation shows the importance of Ioreth. I have to say that I like Ioreth both in the book and here. She reminds me of one of my mother's sisters (yep, an aunt), yet someone with a very important role in her society and in the book/adaptation. So for all the talk that women do not play a role in the story, I say they do, and the parts they play are critical to the plot at the time they exit in the story /adaptation. So Brian, thanks for including her!

The House of Healing is wonderful scene, and one that I enjoy. The scene shows that Aragorn is the king, and begins to lay his foundation for the claim of the crown, and it does something else. I felt here the scene really shows what the relationship between Aragorn and Eowyn really is from his viewpoint, and with the fact that Eomer is the one that calls her back. I wish in some other adaptations that could have been shown because if you go into the fact that Eowyn is infatuated with Aragorn earlier, I think this scene shows the relationship as it is, and as Aragorn views it. No doubt where Aragorn loves lies here!

I also love the conversation between Merry and Pippin in the House of Healing. Pippin talks about not being able to stay on the heights for long (Tooks and Brandybucks). Merry gives an interesting reply that it is best to love that which we are fitted to love. I guess it is best to accept our position, our state. I wonder if we all did that if this would be a better world? Merry also says that we have to basically begin somewhere and have "some roots" yet there are things deeper and higher and we should be glad if we know something about them.

I've always wondered (having been to Europe 4x, India 2x among other places) how important it is to have "roots" but to also realize that in our world as in Middle Earth, there are other things that have even deeper roots and are higher? Also, it is better in life to accept what we love, regardless of what income or lifestyle that brings, if we are fitted to love it? I think this is just some great Hobbit/Tolkien wisdom coming through.

It ends with a short snippet of Frodo and Sam and the Orc Overseer scene and then the Captains of the West. I have really loved listening to this, and really getting into it. This is by far one of my favorite episodes in the series. I thought the writing and adaptations are great, and that the actors and actresses really shine here.

Let the discussion begin and remember, I'm sick so if my post makes no sense, I can always blame the medication