View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
I had a similar thought when studying the first chapter of The Hobbit for Music in Middle-earth, but I found an interesting bit of information in The History of the Hobbit:

Tolkien must certainly have known that and I assume he used the name deliberately.
Whoa! Nice one. Well, that makes it clear, then. Not surprising from Tolkien.

Quote:
Also, playing the drum need not have indicated clumsiness - he would actually have been the one responsible for keeping time so that all musicians would stay together.
Of course. Drum, and drummers, are often underrated in the mind of a common, not specifically musically educated person, though of course they are of utmost importance and it is also nothing simple to play a drum, and a skilled drummer can do things many could dream of... But I think still, in the eyes of many, the simple association of drum with something is such one as "the drummer is unimportant, lazy guy sitting in the background and beating one thing repeatedly".
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote