View Single Post
Old 12-20-2002, 08:14 PM   #105
Mintyztwin
Wight

Mintyztwin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have now moved past anger to . . . sadness. Thursday morning, I woke up sick to my stomach and crying after having horrible nightmares about TTT. *sigh*<P>However, my opinion has not changed! It does upset me (not nearly as much as I thought it would ) that people who enjoy the movie, are getting really upset at people who were severly disappointed at the movie, such as myself. <P>My mom had a good point in my defense, which is odd, because she isn't a Tolkien fan. "If they bought the rights to the name,and characters, why not buy the right to the story as well?" Good point mom. <P>I've never thought of myself as a "purist" but apparantly, I am!! (Yay!) I can stand interpretation. Interpretation is having 6 year olds fight at Helm's Deep. Interpretation is Gollum's conversation with himself. Interpretation, is how the Ents looked. <P>I can also understand misunderstanding on PJ's part, or anyone else who directs a LotR movie. (When I refer to PJ, I'm refering to EVERYONE on the planning commitee. It's just easier to write "PJ".) Misunderstanding is having Frodo all creepy, and not geting the good side of his change. (What do you expect from a horror movie director?) Misunderstanding is having Gimli be comic relief. (He does have some funny lines in the book.) Misunderstanding is (if you really, really want to stretch it) Saruman physically possesing Theoden.<P>I can also understand changing things for the movie's sake. For example: Showing the Balrog. (I liked that.) Eomer showing up to save Helm's Deep instead of Erkenbrand. Absolutly having to keep elves in. (Although, of course, they COULD HAVE just used Elrohir and Elladen.) <P>I cannot, and will not stand direct deviancy and exact opposites!!! Such as, the Ents saying "no" at the Entmoot!!!! The Ents destroying a dam, instead of building it. Having Faramir march Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath, which doesn't exist!! (Okay, it's a ruin.) Of course, having Faramir march them anywhere is messed up as well. There were several other thing too, but they escape me at the moment. <P>Instead of being very angry now, I am really sad. (I'm kind of working through the various stages of grief.) I was in the middle of reading TTT when I went to see the picture bearing the same name. In fact, I was reading it while waiting in line. I'm glad I was. If you like the movie, I'm happy for you! Much better that, than being miserable! I'm sure Tolkien is just spinning 'round and 'round. <P>This is quite a change for me, because I loved FotR. I watched it 5 times. (I've only been to any theatre 11 times.) I saw the Extended Version. I was waiting with baited breath for a beautiful rendition of TTT on the silver screen. Personally, I'm still waiting.

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, and gentleness. 1 Timothy 6:2
Mintyztwin is offline   Reply With Quote