View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #82
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf Have I done this already this time round? Can't remember.

Name (that you go by): mark12_30; sometimes Bolco. Occasionally Lindo.

Future Aspirations: Short term-- switch to HSI; long-term-- teaching teenagers.

Goal in life: "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Short term goals: Bond completely and thoroughly with my adopted kids.

Passion: Teaching teenagers, especially regarding worship.

Hobbies: Mountain biking, hill-biking (on the road...) Guitar/piano/pennywhistle

Famous for (brag about yourself): Guitar and vocals. On the lighter side: having an amusingly poor memory.

Fave book: The trilogy, still, after all these decades-- even though I haven't read it in at least three years.

Fave movie: Er... Besides LotR-- Maybe Ben Hur. I love the rain washing down the cross and spreading Jesus' blood over the earth; great image.

Fave sport: To watch? Olympic gymnastics, although Mountain Biking Trials, and BMX racing, is growing on me.

Fave store: A little dress shop along the causeway in Naples, Maine called "Robin's Nest".

Fave music: What we sing at church.

What you can't stand: A clueless boss. (Sorry.)

What you plain dislike: A project run by a clueless boss.

Who you admire: My Aunt the nun in Seattle.

What you most love to do: Mountain biking. Or hill-biking, second-best. THis morning I saw a wild turkey, a pelican, ducks snoozing on a rock in mid-pond, two deer, and two bunnies.

Your self-confessed flaws: ..... filling out surveys at work....

What intrigues/fascinates you: THe learning process; personalities and how they inter-relate

What scares you: The possibility of not bonding deeply enough with my adopted children.

Quotation to live by: Mark 12:30

Value-specific:

What do you want most in a friend? Willingness to pray together about anything and everything.

What do you want most in a teacher? Willingness to find out what I am hoping to learn, insstead of their agenda for me.

What do you want most in an ally? Tenacity.

What do you want most in a team-mate? Stability (because I'm all over the place and I need the balance.)

What do you want people to remember most about you? That I was a worshipper of Jesus.

Writer-specific:

Your favorite work you've written so far: Hmmmm. Either the "Bolco" books or "The Fairy Wife"?

Your favorite character so far: Lindo, in "The Lonely Star." Life imitates art.

What you plan to write soon: Instead of answering "Finishing my family history" or "Writing Eddie O'Connor" I'll be honest and say-- "I don't have much time to write these days."

What inspires you to write: Usually, suggestions from someone else. Lindo, Gamba, Phura, and Lorien (in The Fairy Wife) were all suggested by Child of the 7th Age.

What makes your writing stall: Real Life.

Do you get writers' block and how do you overcome it? Definitely. Stream-of-consciousness writing.

Middle-Earth specific:

Your favorite ME character(s)? The anonymous elf in Mirkwood..... I think I'm answering that because I love so many LotR characters so much, it's emotionally draining to go through the list. Yes, that's a copout.

What do you like about them? VIRTUE.

Your favorite moment(s) from the Trilogy?

--Frodo's dreams-- any and all of them.
--Boromir's wisecracking gives me the chuckles.
--"Horns, horns, horns. Rohan had come at last."
--"Begone, foul dwimmerlaik!"
--Eomer's song.
--Sam's star above the Ephel Duath.
--Grey Havens-- love/hate relationship.

Your favorite plot twist(s) from the Trilogy?
--Everything relating to Faramir.
--Aragorn, from the paths of the dead to his arrival in the black ships.
--Frodo's departure at the Grey Havens. (Don't think about that too hard; moving right along.)
--Plot twists, plot twists, what else..... Tom Bombadil. A plot twist in a person.
--Hoom hom.

Looking at your personality as it is, what race do you belong to in Middle-Earth and why? One of them procrastinating mortals in South Gondor who were late to the war, or never even came...

What race would you *like* to belong to in Middle-Earth and why? Elves of course; I love the thought of "putting the thought of all we love into all we make"; I love the integration with nature. Their sin is all their own, of course.; pride in their work being excessive, isolationism being excessive, and the whole embalming attitude towards the things they hold dear-- too dear. (I wonder what a redeemed Christian elf would look like?)

What place(s)would you live in Middle Earth and why? Mirkwood? Lorien? Rivendell? Somewhere with lots of singing, dancing, trees and water. How about Eregion before it's fall? Beleriand? You get the drift... You know, I was always fascinated by the Ered Luin, and the elves in Mithlond and Forlond. (See The Fairy Wife...)

Where would you want to visit? Why? Gondor, Rohan, Dol Amroth, and the ruins of Arnor. Somewhere with lots of ruins, history, and the hints of hauntings. Oh, and can I have a cottage on the shores of Evendim?

Last edited by mark12_30; 06-30-2006 at 07:41 AM.