View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 07:51 PM   #12
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Tolkien suggests in the appendices that Pippin amuses the men of Gondor by initially using colloquial speech more suited to the common room of the Green Dragon.
Quote:
Peregrin Took ... in his first few days in Minas Tirith used the familiar forms to people of all ranks, including the Lord Denethor himself. This may have amused the aged Steward, but it must have astonished his servants
(Appendix F RotK)
Pippin's jaunty informality was no doubt one of the reasons for Denethor's wintery smile on meeting him. Aside from Denethor's rank, he was awesomely Numenorean and terminally irascible -- I doubt even Prince Imrahil ever stood up to him, even in private or in jest. Denethor was just the sort of ruler who desperately needs a Jester to tell him the truth. Unfortunately, Pippin came into his service just a little too late to save his soul, although he did save his son.

Being a sociable and adaptable Hobbit, Pippin picks up a good deal of the formal style during his first days in the service of Gondor-- you can read him attempting to be properly courteous/ceremonious to Beregond when he remembers, then shifting to more ceremonious speech to Denethor by the time Faramir is brought in on a stretcher.
Quote:
'I will not say farewell, my lord,' said Pippin kneeling. And then suddenly Hobbit-like once more, he stood up and looked the old man in the eyes. 'I will take your leave sir,' he said
You can be sure that shift from 'my lord' to 'sir' was a deliberate cue to indicate a complete change in Pippin's manner and word choice within the Common Tongue, backed up by the author's sudden, more personal reference to 'the old man'. Tolkien was extremely sensitive to that kind of thing.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote