View Single Post
Old 02-28-2003, 09:58 AM   #82
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Clueless me, I didn't even think of posting here...

Rae is a delight. Pleasant, cheerful, relaxed, honest, and good company; I felt like a hobbit comfortably among hobbits, or sometimes like an elf comfortably among elves. It was easy to enjoy her, and easy to enjoy what we did together. By the end of the day, we were watching Fellowship extended DVD, and it was the perfect end to a hobbitty, elvish day.

Earlier, Rae and I went shopping in lots of Norwegian-oriented artsy, craftsy stores. We saw many beautiful things, and I was amazed by a consistent pattern. Here's an example:

Rae spotted a scarf, with a gold pattern on it, very Norwegian (and hence rather elvish looking.) I thought it was stunning, and she said, "That would go with your outfit." I was reaching for my wallet, when she took a look at the price and gasped. "That's ridiculous!" she said. "You could make that for ..." and then she quoted a small fraction of the price.

"Really?" I said, impressed.

"Sure, " she laughed. "All you would have to do is..." and then she told me how they made it.

Store after store, this pattern was repeated, with Raefindel (which means "Red-Haired Elf") rattling off detailed instructions on how to make the whatever-we-were-looking-at. Raefindel, I began to believe, can make almost anything!

Now, she will modestly dissemble, but the fact remains that she has made three gorgeous cloaks, (including both the cloaks we are wearing in the picture) beautifully and reversably lined, warm, comfortable, and a delight to wear. She makes gorgeous cards; she does calligraphy... Celebrimbor should hire her. Maybe she should have been apprenticed to Feanor. Okay, okay, but this girl has Talent. "The Red-Haired Elf" can put out some beautiful workmanship. I don't know why she isn't in business. I urged her to apprentice herself to some artisan; you could tell she only half believed me. Don't be fooled. She's creative and clever with both her mind and her nimble hands.

Hmmm, I wonder if she should go into the cloak-making business? Making ropes out of hithlain perhaps? Or make Wizard-staffs and hobbit-walking-sticks? Whatever she chooses, I hope she lets her creativity and cleverness come into full flower.

You know, Rae, I've always wanted a changing-greenish-greyish-blue cloak but been quite puzzled how to go about it. I bet you could make me a reversable cloak with greyish-green fabric on one side and watery-grey-blue on the other.

How's the peach one coming?