View Single Post
Old 06-08-2001, 03:40 PM   #11
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: A project ? - revising the Fall of Gondolin

------------------------------------
Quothe Aiwendil:
Regarding balrog numbers: One problem with the figure of 7 (or 3) is that in one of the LotR appendices it says something about some of the balrogs fleeing Thangorodrim and hiding - I don't have the book at hand right now, so I can't give an exact quote, but as I recall, it pretty clearly suggests at least a decent sized host of balrogs still existing at the War of Wrath; I think the figure of 7 would therefore violate our 1st law of canon: the published material is always right.

I might be remembering this incorrectly, though - it's something to check into, anyway.
-----------------------------------------

Yes, you are misremembering.
The mention you are recalling is from the published Silmarillion: &quot;The Balrogs were destroyed save some few that fled and hid themselves...&quot;, The Voyage of Earendil (this is taken from HoME 5 Conclusion to the Quenta Silmarillion chapter 17 paragragh 16, this is from ca. 1937). In Letter 144 (1954) JRRT says that the Balrogs &quot;...were supposed to have been all destroyed in the overthrow of Thangorodrim... But it is here found [in Moria] that one had escaped...&quot;.
Here JRRT could be implying that only one escaped.

Tar-Elenion--------------------- I will come with Fire and Sword, and put your cities to the Torch, your men to the Blade, your women and children in Chains</p>