View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 11:12 PM   #49
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I, like lindil, have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion. I think we've all come to a better realization of certain events, but our opinions on some things are still not the same. That is one of the things that makes the barrowdowns interesting.

Where I (and possibly lord of dor-lomin) am coming from is what I like to call "the fate school". That essentially means that every person and/or group has a certain deed to do or goal to attain, and that things that are usually "wrong" are justifiable if they appear necessary to complete the task that Eru has put into their heart.

I never expected many to view it the same way, but I can't help what I think. When I read the story of the Noldor the first couple times, that's the idea I took away from it. But you all are certainly entitled to your own interpretations.

But one thing that I believe can be safely said is this: I've noticed that the Noldor, and in particular Feanor, are often insulted, and sometimes it seems that they're down right hated, and I think this is, for the most part, a result of reading with a pitiless and black/white perspective. It's sad, because if the story is read as such, the tragedy of Feanor's fall (and the Noldor's) is lost on the reader.

Well, I've said enough. I hope you have been enjoying this thread as I have.