View Single Post
Old 12-17-2004, 09:11 PM   #606
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Ędegard

As Ędegard followed Marigold into the cottage, he heard moaning from near the hearth.

"Go to the one called Mellondu," Marigold said as she moved to her kitchen.

Ędegard did as she said. Mellondu was the one who moaned. He was sweating and his face was pale, as if he was still feverish. Mellonin slept in his arm, and seemed to dream, for her brow was furrowed and her mouth worked silently. Ędegard touched Mellondu on the shoulder.

"Mellondu!" he whispered. He did not respond. Ędegard shook him lightly.

"Hm?" His eyes fluttered open and he squinted unseeing a moment. Then his eyes focused and his face settled into a grim smile. "Ędeward. Good morning."

"Good morning. You were dreaming, I think."

Mellondu shook his head and frowned. "I had an awful dream. Cold, cold water. Brr!" He shook his head violently, which jostled Mellonin and she woke, rubbing her face, which was stained with hours old tears. She rubbed at her face.

"Good morning, Mellonin," Ędegard said. Then he noticed something. "Mellonin! Your face!"

Mellonin's face crumbled into sorrow. "That swamp elf, he hurt me."

"No! Mellondu! Look at her!" Mellondu turned and squinted at his sister's face, but she covered her face.

"No! I do not wish to be a spectacle."

"But Mellonin!" Ędegard said. "The wound is closed! All that remains is a line the color of - of - a newborn's skin!"

Mellonin took her hands from her face. Her eyes were wide. "Marigold! She put mud in my wound!" She touched the line on her face where the wound had been and found it smooth beneath her fingertips. Her eyes went even wider.

"It was not just any mud, then," Mellondu said.

Mellonin was looking about the cottage at the others. "Where is Raefindan? Has he been outside all night?"

Ędegard looked at Mellondu, who seemed as curious of Raefindan's whereabouts as his sister. "He has been taken captive by the swamp elf. We have not seen him since you returned to us, Mellonin."