View Single Post
Old 12-19-2004, 08:35 PM   #607
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Mellonin looked at her brother, and he raised one eyebrow.

"No. I wasn't. I didn't, " she said, once again on the verge of tears.

"All right, then. Look, I'm sorry. Who was he?"

Mellonin turned to look at Aeron, and then Gwyllion, and she began to shake, fighting the sorrow, and losing. "How far does a curse go?" she said, her voice squeaking.

"But you said you didn't lose your temper with the redhaired man."

"Raefindan, " she cried, turning on Mellondu. "His name is Raefindan!"

"All right, " Mellondu replied. "Nevermind. It's all right."

Her eyes kindled, and she said, "It is not all right. He is my friend, and he is captive!"

A rough hand closed around her arm, and a familiar voice said, "Do not fear for him."

She looked up into Ravion's face. Mellondu frowned, worried and not a little suspicious.

"Why?"

"He went of his own free will. He struck a bargain... for you."

"For me?"

"For you."

Mellondu shook his head. "Mellonin, why did you ask about a curse? What did you say to him?"

"Nothing." It was not what I said, but what I thought. 'Raefindan, my adopted brother, and most loyal ally in my search for the younger blood brother. Raefindan will not leave me.' But he has left me; only in a way I cannot resent. And now I have gained my own brother back, and lost my adopted brother. Did the curse against Aeron come back to me, too? She met Mellondu's gaze and replied, "He was like another brother to me, faithful and true."

Ravion gripped her arm tighter. "He still is, Mellonin. And we will find him, and free him."

She turned her gaze on Ravion. It all felt so familiar... the smell of warmth from the fire, the smells of food, and the promises of the Ranger to find her lost brother. She relaxed, gazing into his eyes, wanting to believe it. Her Mellondu was here, with her, solid and real and breathing, no dream, but flesh and blood. And Ravion-- his hand held her arm, and she gazed at him, wondering. His face was haggard, his eyes looked tired, confused yet determined, wavering yet resolute. She looked up at him, her shaking subsided, and she waited for him to speak again.