View Single Post
Old 01-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #619
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
The Rangers

Erundil

"I knew Gwyllion, though not well," Erundil said quietly. He felt everyone's eyes on him, though he kept his downcast. "I was given the task of making her coffin, and the honor of carrying it.

"Her innocence surprised me...and her childlike wisdom touched me. Her eyes saw that which ours could not. She lacked a veil that we all wear, a...a barrier between our minds and the truth. She saw everything so simply, so honestly. I know that with her passing, we have lost that sight..."

Erundil felt a catch in his throat, which shocked him. Ravion's strong hand gripped his shoulder, and the older Ranger looked to his former protége for succor. "I have no more to say but farewell, Gwyllion. Sleep peacefully." Erundil walked away from the grave.

Ravion

After relieving Erundil, Ravion knelt by the open grave. He brushed an errant lock of hair from Gwyllion's pale face, and took a deep breath.

"I knew Gwyllion," he said, and was not ashamed that his voice broke. "I knew her. She was sweet and innocent, childlike and good, but also more. I learned much from Gwyllion. Erundil spoke of the unimpaired sight that she had: that is right. She saw things that we did not.

"And she was not just a child. In a very real way, she was more of an adult than any of us. Often it was that I treated her as no more than a child, but it was my mistake. I could have listened to her more. I would have learned.

"But it is not her insight that I will miss. Not only." Ravion stood up. "She was a friend and a companion. I have never known another like her, and do not think I ever will again. I will miss her as a whole: as the young woman I will carry in my memory." He took a small handful of snow and sprinkled it gently by Gwyllion's body. "Agannâlô burôda nęnud. The shadow of death is heavy on us. Ęphal ęphalak îdôn hi-Akallabęth. Far away now is She-that-hath-fallen. Sleep peacefully, Gwyllion. You will be missed."