View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 05:55 PM   #620
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield Ędegard

Ędegard did not step forward, but cleared his throat; the others' eyes turned to him. His mind went blank, except for the panicked question, What do I say?. He said the first thing that came to him.

"I did not know her. I wish I did. I have a sister at home who is not of my parents' blood, but has taken the place of one lost to us at birth. As for me, she is as much one of us as my parents and me. If -" his throat caught "- if she were ever lost to us, it would be a grief beyond bearing." He glanced at the bereaved boy. "Aeron, I wish that you had been spared this loss, but it was - was -"

Ędegard had been about to fall back upon the rutted words of his forefathers about the vicessitudes of fate, but they sounded offensive to his inner ear. A new thought came to him.

"It was not fate that brought about this death," he said, he voice strengthening. "No, it was brought about by the evil deed of a blackheart." Ędegard took one step forward and lifted his stubbed left arm. "By the blood spilt in the loss of my hand, I swear that I shall seek payment in kind for the loss of Gwyllion, your sister. It is my oath that the swamp elf shall die for his deed, by my remaining hand if need be."

He did not look at any but the boy, whose eyes had kindled. He stepped back to his place again.