View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #623
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril Ędegard

Ędegard looked around the circle of mourners. The Gondorian girl, Bellyn, had spoken, then Erundil and Ravion, then he had sworn his oath, Liornung had sung his beautiful lament, then Mellondu and Mellonin had spoken, the latter in words Ędegard had not been able to make out. That left Leafa, Nethwador, the two Elves Erebemlin and Taitheneb, and Marigold ... and Aeron. Surely the boy had some words about his sister?

Ędegard took Leafa's hand in his and squeezed it. She glanced up at him and he saw the doubt and pain in her face. He nodded once by way of encouraging her to speak, and she frowned, her lips twisting.

Ędegard sighed. He would not push her needlessly. He looked to Aeron. The boy looked as if he had no intention of saying a thing. He just stared at his sister's body, on which the snow was beginning to gather. If someone did not speak soon, Marigold had better, before the body was buried by snow instead of in the earth!

"I - I-" Ędegard turned. Leafa was struggling to speak! "I did not know Gwyllion. I wish I had. I - I will miss her." Leafa folded into Ędegard's chest, resting her head on his shoulder. He wrapped her in his handless arm, wishing he could stroke her hair . . . remembering that he his missing hand would pass over the place where she missed an ear. He could feel her sobbing quietly against him. The Elf would pay.

One of the Elves stepped forward and spoke. "'Twas a strange task the Lady Marigold put us to, digging this grave-" Hard, unfeeling words, thought Ędegard. Leafa's sobbing ceased. She turned her head and watched the speaker. It was the taller, more lordly of the two Elves, Erebemlin. "-but the one we most needed to do. May she sleep well until the world is changed." Erebemlin stepped back again.

Ędegard shook his head, bemused. Taitheneb took his elder's place. "We have been shielded in Lorien for many lifetimes of Men. Shielded from death. It was good for my lord and me to dig this grave, to feel the nature of this one's death as well as we are able. For this I thank the Lady Marigold." Taitheneb turned his gaze toward Ędegard. "The man of Rohan has sworn a dire oath. I wish that he had not. Dark are the roads leading from sworn oath to future deeds. Darker still are the deeds that must be done to seal the oath. Darkest of all may be the consequences of oath accomplished. I pray that it is not so for you. But I fear. I fear." Taitheneb looked away, returning to his place.

Ędegard felt as if he had been released from some spell, or at least from the powerful eyes of the Elf. Elves! They should stay in their woods! Ędegard shook his head, then looked to Aeron. Was the boy going to speak, or not?

The snowflakes continued to cover the body of the girl.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-08-2005 at 04:50 PM.