View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
On the whole I agree with this– however, now that we’ve seen the character, well, she does look like a distillation of every Elf-Mary Sue ever, doesn’t she?
She does. But I still want to see her on the screen before passing my judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka View Post
- Serve as a device to bust the dwarves out of prison, since apparently our merry drunken duo and most of Bilbo's crafty reconnaissance and stealth have been dropped out of the film.
This makes me sad because that's the part I had been really looking forward to. Apparently PJ doesn't have the guts to portray the elves as Tolkien did (never mind that the Hobbit can't be seen as canon in every respect). Ah why do they have to be so... first age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Actually, Beth, I rather think you are a bit– or rather, perhaps, not strict enough– I doubt “talking about a man” was meant to be stretched that far. After all, it tremendously limits the topics women are “allowed” to discuss– which was surely not the original intention. (Besides, isn’t the point of the test pretty much that it *shouldn’t* be terribly hard to pass?)
There are different versions, but I don't think B-berry's (I should probably stop using this acronym because I pronounce it 'Bieberry' in my head) interpretation was off. Of course women can talk about men, but since the male characters don't only talk about women either, it would be justified to show women speaking of something that adds something to them as characters instead of to the male characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
See, one hears a lot about the “the need for strong female characters”, but obviously it’s a bit more complicated than that when, even in such a small group, we can’t seem to reach any real agreement about what the phrase means in the first place.
Oh but Peter Jackson and his wonderful sense of nuances have already defined it to us! In his world, strong = physically strong and able.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Don't be under any illusion that Tauriel is there for the girls. If there had been a genuine place for a female role model the role wouldn't have changed with the availability of the actress.
Ditto.