View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 11:59 AM   #791
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have just finished...

But I don't know what you would call it...

It is the story of Faramir and the War of the Ring. Told by Tolkien and I quote him often, but I wanted to fill in some of the missing parts.

For example, I wanted to develop a relationship between Faramir and Boromir, before Boromir went to Rivendell. I quite liked how that turned out. Also when Tolkien says that Eowyn and Faramir talked for five days, I wrote those conversations, as well as conversations between Faramir and Denethor, Faramir and Pippin and Faramir and Merry.

I followed the story completely and did not make any changes, only changed the perspective to be that of my favourite character's...Faramir.

Some of my difficulties, bringing my language to that of Tolkien...I used my thesaurus alot!!!

Also I had to change my ending. Just like ROTK, my ending after the War of the Ring seemed somewhat anti-climatic and I had to delete the last 2 chapters to avoid that. Which was really, really hard because I rather liked them. But as one reader told me, they really liked my ending...before they had read the last two chapters and I realized that he was right. I had ended it and to continue detracted from the story itself.

I must say it was a complete departure from anything I had ever written before and it was quite challenging, but in the end worth it...
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66