View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #209
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry for being so scarce lately. Werewolf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Spell it Foley or Folie.
I was thinking "Foly".

Quote:
The impression I have gotten of Thornden is that he is in his early to mid twenties.
Me too. That implies being a seasoned veteran of perhaps 3 to 6 years in the Eored, but still young enough to have the world ahead of him. People started their adult life earlier in cultures like Rohan. So you're a man at age 14 or 15, taking full share in the responsibilities of the family farm, and at age 16 to 18 you're a foot soldier. If you're family's wealthy enough to have a horse, then you can be part of the Eored by perhaps age 18. Women were considered adult by age 14. So for Thornden to be any more than 25 would be too old, based on the reasoning Jenny already provided in terms of being in his 30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny
The problem with fitting Marenil in here is that there must be a point where all parties involved understand that he's the best man for the job, with no hard feelings. So Thornden needs to have come to much the same conclusions on his own.
This thread needs some excitement. You're all writing like you're trying to come up with something for your character to do. I am too. I know what'll get your character doing something: Conflict. It'll make your character more interesting to you and others, and will help you learn more about your character than you knew was there to learn. So let's have Thornden and Marinel not get along too swimmingly, at the very least. Thornden, being a natural young Eorlinga, who is trying to prove himself a good steward, is going to have a little bit of a hard time accepting the ease with which Marinel does the best thing. Work it up before resolving it. Let's have a good row! (just kidding on that last part)

I'll come up with a crisis. I have a few notions along those lines already....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Where should we all gather to? You said that the Great Hall was a work zone and that only you, I, and the workers or whatnot are allowed in it. Where then shall we go?
Where Eodwine, Falco, and Thornden are now, in the makeshift Mead hall under the tent-roof just outside the original mead hall.

Meeting in the kitchen would make for a crowded kitchen. Frodides would not be pleased. The temperature's warm nice enough to be outside while daylight lasts.