Thread: Gay subtext?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2001, 10:16 PM   #17
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi Eve, yow, that gave some of my longest posts a run for their money! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Don't worry about nasty comments, this forum is for real discussion, not unsupported opinion. Those who don't have a meaningful contribution begin to look a little childish. When an entire argument can be boiled down to one salient point - "I don't like your discussion" - how much have you said and why are you participating? LOL.. discussions end when people stop discussing! By contrast, in a similar topic, our "Hobbitus Emeritus" disagreed with any homoerotic subtext but was polite, had quotes and appendices to back him, and offered another theory.

Because of the controversial subject I propose a rule (similar to your first post, Eve): be willing to participate and be polite, no personal comments or trash talk, join the discussion.

In other words, no posts specifically geared to end the discussion, whether through bullying, cattiness, or petty back-biting. *low growl, balrog-sized fangs bared, slightly, in warning*

As far as I'm concerned, participating in a clearly marked "gay" topic is like walking into a gay club - no matter how much you protest, just stepping in is demonstrating your prurient interest.

Your topic is a fine change from the neverending Balog-wings debate! And great fun. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Maril

Regarding Wheel of Time women: product of its time. There are strong female characters, but after six books both male and female characterization remains stick-like. We learned more about Frodo and Sam in two chapters than Nynaeve in six books. It's an addictive serices, though lacks the sheer power of the Lord of the Rings (what doesn't?). I grew weary of the Seanchan finally, which reminded me of an evil version of the clowns they bring in on bad Spanish talk shows. Starting to drag? Bring in the clowns again. The best book is The Dragon Reborn. Don't read the Path of Daggers, in 700 pages he doesn't tie up a single plot line.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]