View Single Post
Old 02-02-2003, 02:18 AM   #220
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

I finally filled my save! I apologise for the length: Gryphon and I have combined our contributions and I did not notice how long our augmented post was until we were finished. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Sorry people!

Airerūthiel

I hope you did not mind me making your character do something heroic before he dies. Like, being half-elven, I expected him to do something really cool before the end. Too bad that his brother had to be his doom. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
Just a query: do Elves go to the Grey Havens when they die or not? My Middle-earth knowledge is a little sketchy currently...

Edit: Oh wait, Maikadurion's not really an Elf (well, he is but he isn't, if you know what I mean)...but I'm guessing he probably wouldn't go to the Grey Havens 'cause he's mortal
Actually, when elves 'die' their spirits went to the Halls of Mandos and then they would be, well, 'reborn'

Quote:
The Elves were not subject to disease, but they could be 'slain': that is their bodies could be destroyed, or mutilated so as to be unfit to sustain life. But this did not lead naturally to 'death': they were rehabilitated and reborn and eventually recovered memory of all their past: they remained 'identical'.
Letter draft to Rhona Beare (continuation to letter 211) by JRR Tolkien
Quote:
The Elves. . . are therefore 'immortal'. Not 'eternally', but to endure with and within the created world, while its story lasts. When 'killed', by the injury or destruction of their incarnate form, they do not escape from time, but remain in the world, either discarnate, or being re-born. This becomes a great burden as the ages lengthen, especially in a world in which there is malice and destruction (I have left out the mythological form which Malice or the Fall of the Angels takes in this fable).
Letter 181 by JRR Tolkien
Men, and half-elves, once they die their spirits are freed from this cycle of reincarnation. In other words, being human entitled one to instant 'Nirvana' from the point of view of the elves.

Elves, however, go to the Grey Havens before the death of their mortal bodies when they get tired of the world.

Everyone

I apologise once again for the extremely long post on page 2 of the RPG.

Estel i-Dhadrantor

[ February 02, 2003: Message edited by: Estel the Descender ]